Aire R vs DD raft design - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #21

SWCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 80's
Great way to spend the winter.... obsessing over boats.

MR. ED is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #22

SWCO, Colorado
I’ll add that I spent most of the summer obsessing over which boat to get. I was all over the place but the price and 10 year warranty of Aire pretty much won me over. I was waffling between the 156R , 1600dd and the 146dd. I ended up with the 146 because it was on sale locally.
I also obsessed over which floor to get... I ended up with the standard floor. I’m not super rafty so I didn’t think it would be a big deal. I’m looking for fun and not necessarily performance. If the standard floor is really a dog, I’ll get the sealed floor. Good luck and have fun with the process.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #23

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. ED View Post
I’ll add that I spent most of the summer obsessing over which boat to get. I was all over the place but the price and 10 year warranty of Aire pretty much won me over. I was waffling between the 156R , 1600dd and the 146dd. I ended up with the 146 because it was on sale locally.
I also obsessed over which floor to get... I ended up with the standard floor. I’m not super rafty so I didn’t think it would be a big deal. I’m looking for fun and not necessarily performance. If the standard floor is really a dog, I’ll get the sealed floor. Good luck and have fun with the process.
While I agree with the process... I will say economics wise its better to get the floor you think you'll want rather then getting one and deciding later you want the other. It may be $400 or whatever to upgrade to the sealed floor...but its a lot more to buy an entire new floor. You could probably sell the other one... but since they are boat specific it might be hard. Not sure if Aire can upgrade the floor but I suspect it wouldn't be the same since they would have to patch over the ballast holes and such.

I think you'll be happy either way...but I definitely don't regret getting the Sealed floor.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #24

SWCO, Colorado
Ya I agree with that. Except, I wasn’t sure which floor I wanted. I read up on it and consulted who I knew about it and in the end it was easier and cheaper so that’s the route I went. I’m not sure I’d be able to tell a big difference between the two as I have limited experience in rafts. It was fun and I learned a ton of new stuff 😃
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #25

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
While I agree with the process... I will say economics wise its better to get the floor you think you'll want rather then getting one and deciding later you want the other. It may be $400 or whatever to upgrade to the sealed floor...but its a lot more to buy an entire new floor. You could probably sell the other one... but since they are boat specific it might be hard. Not sure if Aire can upgrade the floor but I suspect it wouldn't be the same since they would have to patch over the ballast holes and such.

I think you'll be happy either way...but I definitely don't regret getting the Sealed floor.

you can't really "upgrade" a ballast floor...pretty much have to unlace it and lace in a new sealed floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. ED View Post
Ya I agree with that. Except, I wasnt sure which floor I wanted. I read up on it and consulted who I knew about it and in the end it was easier and cheaper so thats the route I went. Im not sure Id be able to tell a big difference between the two as I have limited experience in rafts. It was fun and I learned a ton of new stuff 😃

I have two ballast floor Aires. I can definitely tell the difference.

You'll learn the difference, but you won't hate the ballast floor. It's not as sporty, but it's more forgiving.

The best boat is the one you're in and using frequently.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #26

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
you can't really "upgrade" a ballast floor...pretty much have to unlace it and lace in a new sealed floor.

Correct. Speaking from experience you have to buy an all new floor, remove your ballast floor, and then lace in the new floor.
IDriverRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #27

C. Springs, Colorado
I'd say the difference between the two floors is in how they track in the current and how they cut across the current. If your running rivers like the Green and Colorado where there isn't a lot of must make moves in a run and lots of flat water in between rapids, then you'll be happier with a ballast floor that tracks and stays in the current. If your running stretches like on the Arkansas in Colorado, where you need to maneuver around rocks and the rapids are more continuous, then you will be happier with a sealed floor.

Good luck and have fun with it......
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #28

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post

I have two ballast floor Aires. I can definitely tell the difference.

You'll learn the difference, but you won't hate the ballast floor. It's not as sporty, but it's more forgiving.

The best boat is the one you're in and using frequently.
Sorry...I combined two thoughts I was having without completing either of them.

First thought was, its only ~$400 more to have the sealed floor when you buy the boat but if you change your mind and want the other one its gonna be a lot more expensive and you'll probably end up buying a whole new floor. Second part of that thought was, with a bit of work it may be possible to modify the ballast style standard floor to behave more like a sealed floor but it wouldn't be easy or reliable so you'd be better off just getting a new floor if it was that big a deal to ya.

Sorry for the confusion.

I agree that whatever boat you are rowing at the time is an awesome one. Still...given the choice when buying the new boat...go with the one you think out'll like the most.

As for running through flatwater and staying in the current... I find that the level to which you inflate your floor will make a huge difference for that. For me...if I need to make moves and cut across current...I inflate the floor hard and its much more nimble but won't track as well. If I'm trying to make time and have the current push me along...then having it much lower pressure and floppy makes a huge difference in how fast you go. Like, the difference between being left behind and out in front of everyone with ease. For my last grand trip...I would inflate the floor up for the big rapids and then let a bunch of air out afterwards. For something like the middle fork at high water (did at 6' or so this year)...I kept it fully inflated for the first couple days and the last day.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire