Aire R vs DD raft design - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11

I have a 156R; it is 25 years old but I guess it is similar to modern versions of the same name. I have 9 foot oars (bought it used this Spring, that is what it came with). Definitely get at least 10 foot oars.

gdaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalcoastie View Post
I found the other older thread - thanks! Lots of good information there but certainly appreciate everyone’s thoughts. Leaning heavy on the R. Everyone use 9.5 or 10’ oars? Or is it another item that doesn’t make a huge difference?

I guess I’m just trying to not recreate my current situation. I often feel like my current 14’ outlaw is such a pig to maneuver. No flips or scary situations really, but sometimes it just doesn’t go where I want it too. Rowing other folks nice rafts has been eye opening. Cant wait for my daughter to row! She’s a little small, but likes getting on the oars

Remember that the 156R (My main boat is one as well, I have had it for about 6 years) is a bit narrower than 16' Avons or Maravias. I have always used 10' oars on mine and wouldn't want them to be any longer than that. If you like your hands to be fairly far apart you could probably get away with 9.5' oars, but I haven't rowed with any. Any boat is gonna be somewhat piggish when heavily loaded. I have the standard floor, but have rowed aire boats with a sealed pocket and I can corroborate that it makes a difference. If my floor ever wears out I will be gettin a sealed floor.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifgav View Post
Remember that the 156R (My main boat is one as well, I have had it for about 6 years) is a bit narrower than 16' Avons or Maravias. I have always used 10' oars on mine and wouldn't want them to be any longer than that. If you like your hands to be fairly far apart you could probably get away with 9.5' oars, but I haven't rowed with any. Any boat is gonna be somewhat piggish when heavily loaded. I have the standard floor, but have rowed aire boats with a sealed pocket and I can corroborate that it makes a difference. If my floor ever wears out I will be gettin a sealed floor.
I agree.

I use my 9.5' oars with a stern frame, but they're too short for my double-rail 4-bay frame and for the boat. 10' are IMHO ideal for this boat.

Also agree on the SPF. The 156R is not nimble with the ballast floor (for either multidays or with 7-8 people as a paddle boat), but if you get on the right line, it definitely pulls you through the manky spots.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalcoastie View Post
I found the other older thread - thanks! Lots of good information there but certainly appreciate everyones thoughts. Leaning heavy on the R. Everyone use 9.5 or 10 oars? Or is it another item that doesnt make a huge difference?

My NRS E-150 is a completely different animal, but just about exactly the same width. I use 9.5' oars. They work fine, though I'm curious what an extra half foot might do for (or against) my enjoyment.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Amette View Post
My NRS E-150 is a completely different animal, but just about exactly the same width. I use 9.5' oars. They work fine, though I'm curious what an extra half foot might do for (or against) my enjoyment.
If it works, don't change it!

A lot depends on your height, arm length, rowing style, frame width, oarlock height, seat height, oar type/balance, etc.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16

Boise, Idaho
I use 9.5' oars on my 156R. Feels perfect for me. Any longer and I think the leverage would be working against me.
IDriverRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17

Jamestown, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
156R, with outfitter blades

Great boat in 800 cfs on the Arkansas, and I've also had the 156R on Cataract, in way bigger water than the Grand. Tube diameter matters, in my opinion. Ran with only 10 foot oars but with Carlisle outfitter blades. The blade size makes a huge difference. Open oar locks of course. Floor design is also critical. Trim the load if you're heading into big water.
StyleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18
Tonic & Lime

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2018
160DD

I have a 160DD.
Hells canyon this year we had three 160DD's one 156R one 176R and a 14' NRS

The 160DD's can carry just as much (or more) than the 156R. I have 10' oars with outfitter blades and feel like the boat is more maneuverable than any of the R boats. There has been talk of it being a wetter ride because it has lower tubes. I didnt see any difference because of the taller bow and stearn rise.
R boats have 2" taller tubes and a 11" rise. DD boats have a 15" rise.

In high winds all of us struggled to buck the upstream wind. (Salmon river above challis)

The biggest difference I see is the lower tube height in relation to the floor prevents the Dry Box from sitting on the frame without touching the floor. I added some on inch blocks to the tabs to lift the Box off the floor.

My cooler also sticks up higher out of the boat but does not cause me any problems.
t_woodling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2011
All good stuff yall! Im going to order mine through Dustys River Logistics with a frame package. Biggest battle Im having now is settling on a color with my wife. I certainly appreciate the comments!
Norcalcoastie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Avoid the dark colors. I have a forest green Aire and it gets too hot in the sun for my liking
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire