Aire Puma or NRS Otter - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-20-2013   #1

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Aire Puma or NRS Otter

Anybody use an Aire Puma or NRS Otter 120 for fishing? Love it? Hate it? Input please and pictures of your set-up much appreciated.
Thanks

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013   #2

forks, washington
I use to own a super duper puma Sold it and and I bought an Aire Jaguarundi. I rowed both a puma and sdp before I Bought one. The extra 6 inches in width and extra foot makes a difference when fishing with two other guys.

They are great boats for one day trips. because they are so narrrow dry boxes are a custom order. Dry storage is a must for fishing. For me a cat was more versitile for what I do. I would look at the Streamtech boats to.

fishhawk1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #3

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
I rented an Aire for a paddle boat--assumed I was getting a D-Series but upon rolling it out, found that it was a Super-Duper Puma. Obviously I didn't get any fishing done in it but I can for sure tell you that I felt like it was too narrow for my liking as a paddle boat. This is the only 14' boat I've ever run that I didn't feel like there was enough room for six paddlers plus the guide. Again, its a personal preference thing but I felt like the Puma was too narrow for a paddle team, but I don't know what you like for fishing--I would think a wider boat but that probably depends on where you fish? Just my experience, sorry I can't help more with the fishing side, hope it helps.
ReillRaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReillRaft View Post
I rented an Aire for a paddle boat--assumed I was getting a D-Series but upon rolling it out, found that it was a Super-Duper Puma. Obviously I didn't get any fishing done in it but I can for sure tell you that I felt like it was too narrow for my liking as a paddle boat. This is the only 14' boat I've ever run that I didn't feel like there was enough room for six paddlers plus the guide. Again, its a personal preference thing but I felt like the Puma was too narrow for a paddle team, but I don't know what you like for fishing--I would think a wider boat but that probably depends on where you fish? Just my experience, sorry I can't help more with the fishing side, hope it helps.
I agree with you from the paddle side. Buddy of mine has the 143-D and it's a great paddle boat.

cataraftgirl, I saw a lot of SDP's on the Madison and Yellowstone, among all the drift boats. Before you lay out the cash, could you borrow one? Looking for new or used? Glacier Raft Co. up here sells 2-3 year old SDP's every year to keep their fleet new. They don't get insane wear in that short amount of time, either.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #5
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
Pumas make sweet, sporty little oar rigs, but they llike any other boat get piggish with a lot of weight. My first raft was a puma, in fact I still have it and will never sell it. I am also a fishing guide. That being said I would not recommend the 11'6" puma for fishing unless you carry a minimal amount of gear and seldomly float 3 people. I have what is essentially an nrs fishing frame with the stern seat attachment. I just can't fit my gear in an organized and usable manner, but I carry lots of tackle and rods. Although I have done 2 people, 2 dogs and gear for 3, ahem, I mean 2 nights on the gunny gorge, and it wasn't terribly piggish. But, I would recommend a super or sd puma for 3 people. They are definitely narrow boats, so that could be a determining factor if you aren't comfortable running narrow boats on bigger water. I have also run several super pumas, and they are much roomier, although not compared to the otters. If you are getting a good deal and want to do as much or more playboating than fishing, then go for the puma, they are super fun, especially surfing, rowing high water and vertical drops, kind of like rowing a kayak. Somehow the stiffness and narrow design seems more hydro dynamic than anything else I have run, making it surf really well and punch holes more like a dory. If I were to recommend a boat dedicated solely to fishing, something like the 130 r or d would be my choice(it was)
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #6

Sandy, Utah
Thanks for the input so far buzzards. Some additional information that I probably should have put in my first post (My bad)..... I have a 14 ft. Maravia Cat for whitewater/multi-day trips. I love that boat. I also have an Outcast PAC 1000 mini-cat for fishing. It's a great little cat, and I can do overnight or weekends with it going backpacker style. The problem is that I can't bring my dog on that little boat, and I'd like a little bit more room for gear (still conservative though). So my need is for a small (under 12 ft.), light weight, fishing raft to take the place of the PAC 1000 for over night and weekend fishing on class I-II rivers. Just me and the pooch. I want a boat that's easy to load & unload from my trailer by myself. I also want it to be a raft for ease of use with the dog. Right now my top contenders are the Aire Puma, Tributary 9.5, the Hyside Mini-Max, and maybe the NRS Otter 120. The Tributary is the smallest and least $$$, the Otter is the heaviest and most $$$. The Hyside at 10.5 ft. is almost perfect in length, weight, and $$$, but it's the narrowest boat. This boat will be strictly rowed for fishing & fun, no R2 whitewater stuff. If anyone has first hand knowledge of these boats and maybe some pictures of your set-up, I'd love the feedback. Thanks.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #7
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
I have a trib 9.5 too, and it's a hoot with the frame, pretty light, but very tight on gear space. killer r2 and 3, like paddling a bathtub with 4. for your needs and skill level, you will love the the puma, it really is a different beast. you can fit through the lowest water on it (Royal Gorge @220cfs, Nolichucky @300cfs) loaded to camp and fish, or you can run steep and/or BIG V+ in it. Try one out, I'd loan you mine if you were nearby. I may sound like I am preaching, and maybe I am, but I've rowed all the boats you've mentioned except the mini max, which I have paddled and guided out of, and the puma is the best, period.
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Did you see the partners forum? Hyside is having deals on thur, maybe they'd give you an idea if the boat you are looking at might be included in the near future?
Old 01-22-2013   #9

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
this looks like a sweet ride
2012 SOTAR Elite ss 13' Raft - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap
Old 01-22-2013   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt cook View Post
Somehow the stiffness and narrow design seems more hydro dynamic than anything else I have run, making it surf really well and punch holes more like a dory.
I suspect their dory-like qualities makes them popular with fishermen.

Go for the Puma and a trailer with a winch for solo loading with your pup.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire