Aire 146DD Frame Width & Outfitting - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

SLC, Utah
Aire 146DD Frame Width & Outfitting

Hello Buzzards, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm rigging up my new 146DD with a Down River Gunnison double rail / decked frame, and since I picked up the 74" wide model, I've got to cut my cross bars down to size.

I called Aire directly and they just gave me the "It depends" answer and only said the minimum width would be 58".

Any 146DD owners have some insights to share? Things you like about your frame setup? Thinks you wish you did differently after some time on the water?

Cheers!

FirstTram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Central Point, Oregon
We like wide frames soOutside of long bars sit on the outer edge of top chafe strip.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

SWCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 80's
My NRS single rail crossbars are 66 inches wide. Good luck
MR. ED is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Looking at the wireframe:

There aren't really any good pics of the chafers, but it seems reasonable you could add a rail 6" outside each side of that 58" dimension. 70" would be my guess.

If you have the raft and frame in hand, inflate the boat, set up the frame, and take some pics that we can armchair-quarterback.

I really can't argue with a wide frame if you don't have any other constraints that would make a narrower frame optimal!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

SWCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 80's
Update... my DRE footbar is roughly 64.5 inches putting the speed rail fittings at 66 inches on the outside. At 66 wide it sits nicely on the rubber. There’s more chaffing strip out side but it wraps down onto the tubes. Seems like you could push out a bit but all the weight in your frame would be on the cross bars. Not sure if or how that would impact anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6E31C5EB-9F0E-4743-8B65-2A409015AA2C_1589498954398.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	46495   Click image for larger version

Name:	6E8B0335-899C-428E-A970-74AB57AF1611_1589499161643.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	46497  

MR. ED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

I have a DRL Lo-pro frame on my 146DD that is 63.5" wide and it fits perfect. If you wanted to go a little wider you could, but I don't think any wider than 66"
Liquidsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Mine is pretty wide...but its double rail with decking. I don't have an official measurement for you...but oar towers basically sit right at the edge of the raft tube as you look down.

Sorry...not a great picture but still the only one I have that reasonable shows my frame setup (the closer boat with the wood decks)...

Chafers are super wide on Aire boats (or at least the 146DD)...they extend far beyond where even the widest frame would go off of them...

This is the 136DD...but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference without a tape measure...

The flat spot on both 136DD and 146DD extend past the chaffer. I used 88" side rails and it extended past the chaffer on the 136DD but fits perfect on the 146DD.

I really like having the full width frame. It works with both 10' and 11' oars (recommend 10'ers for most people...I'm weird and like long oars) and the spacing seems ideal. Its nice to have the side boards to walk on too. My side boards are 12" wide and extend slightly inside the tubes...but I dig it for stuffing stuff like throw bags, water bottles and other stuff you need to stash last minute. The gaps are tight enough to not be an entrapment hazard too.

Oh...and 36-37" coolers and dryboxes fit perfect in this boat. I have two of the 37" Frontierplay dryboxes and they fit like they were designed for this boat. I'm rocking the Canyon Coolers Prospector and its feels similar but a bit looser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180519_194723.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	934.1 KB
ID:	46491   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_163655.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	46493  

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

146DD

Hey, I am finishing up outfitting our 146DD. We have a double rail frame with diamond plating. I cut down the width so that outside tube to outside tube is 70". It seems like a good fit. Let me know if you have any other questions.
dj_marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

SLC, Utah
Thanks for the great tips! I was kind of thinking 70" might be the sweet spot, but 66" seems good too. On another note, does anyone have experience cutting down a Down River frame to a new width? The center bars seem straight forward, but the end bars that have a female coupling and pin seem pretty tricky to get dialed in to their tight specifications.
FirstTram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
I have an NRS frame with 66" cross bars on mine (about 69" overall). Much wider than that and the side rails will be overhanging. 70 should be fine though.

bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire