Advice for an old raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-16-2015   #1

Saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2013
Advice for an old raft

Hi all, I'm finally trying to step up from my Colorado 1-man pontoon to a raft, and am trying to do so on the cheap.

I've found an old ('84) Avon Adventurer with an NRS (claiming new) frame, and oars. Owner says there are a few patches, but no leaks. He is asking $1500.

I've read that the older Avon rafts are pretty solid, but this is almost 30 years old. It would mostly be for mellow floats, but I'd like to work up to some class 3 in the area. If it has been and will be well cared for, could I expect to get a few good years out of this before needing to replace the raft? What do you all think?

Thanks!

bray1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
New frame - $400 to $500. Oars, even cheap ones are at least $100 each. If there are 3 you are only into the rubber $700 to $800. Not bad. Adventurer is an awesome boat.

Check for baffles and the floor isn't coming apart and go for it. Hard to find anything close to that ready to row. If it is a bucket boat there is less chance of problems with the ibeam floor, but I love self bailers. Pix?
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015   #3

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2004
I've got an '83 Avon (bucket) that I absolutely love. Military style valves, and it holds air like the day it was new. If the hypalon has been taken care of, you'll have the boat for years. Good Luck.
jamwin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015   #4

Saratoga, Wyoming
Thanks for the input. Okay, I was just looking at the ad again, and realized it is not a self bailer, so that is my next question. I've only ever rowed self bailers, and have never been in a bucket boat. Is it still a reasonable deal? Also, aside from the floor being more sturdy, is there anything else (besides the obvious that it will need to be bailed by hand) to consider between a self bailer and a non?

Old 07-16-2015   #5

Saratoga, Wyoming
Here are links to the pics, since the thumbnails aren't showing for me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypzg2s88bb...0x450.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvwyez1sfp...0x450.jpg?dl=0
Old 07-16-2015   #6

Minden, Nevada
Paddling Since: 1961
I used to have an Avon 16 Adventurer and wish I still had it. Great boats. Mine was from the early 1980s, but never leaked.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015   #7

Drrrrrrango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
you do the rowing, and let your friends do the bailing. You will also need a beer bitch/beauty
ColePowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015   #8

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
He's asking on the upper end for a 30 y/o bucket boat and gear. Even if it is an Avon. Back in the day they were the caddy on the river. I bet it will sit for a while so you might be able to get him down a little. If you are patient you can probably find a quality used self bailer for around there or a little more. I would personally hold out for a SB for anything that price range. But if the boat is otherwise in good shape it will last you a good number of years. He looks like he's upgrading to a SB with that new NRS in the background.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015   #9
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonRafter View Post
He's asking on the upper end for a 30 y/o bucket boat and gear. Even if it is an Avon. Back in the day they were the caddy on the river. I bet it will sit for a while so you might be able to get him down a little. If you are patient you can probably find a quality used self bailer for around there or a little more. I would personally hold out for a SB for anything that price range. But if the boat is otherwise in good shape it will last you a good number of years. He looks like he's upgrading to a SB with that new NRS in the background.
Kind of what I was thinking and I love Avon's. The discoloration of the material is not optimal and I didn't see any oars. The frame is ok.

Fishing out of a bucket boat sucks unless you have a full floor which means it is hard to bail. I would probably keep looking a bit. If you can get it for $1k or $1200 it might work out ok. Bucket boats are easier to roll and weigh less and less chance of floor failure. I have done buckets and self bailers and I am not going back to buckets.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015   #10

Saratoga, Wyoming
Thanks for all the input guys! I'll see if the seller is willing to move at all. It would be a bit of a drive for me, on top of the cost. I love great forums and am glad to have joined this one. I'm in southern Wyoming, so if anyone sees or hears of a steal, please send it! I'm hoping to stay at $2000 or less.