Achilles Rafts - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-23-2017   #1

Hamilton, Ohio
Paddling Since: 1992
Achilles Rafts

Does anyone have information on Achilles Rafts. Reliability? How durable? How do they handle? Etc...

Thanks in advance!

rsmith0955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2017   #2

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I use to own an Achilles. It was a bucket boat from the late 80's. It was a great raft. Made in Japan and solid built. It handled great. I'm assuming you're looking at a little more recent year, but as long as they are built as well as the old boats you will be very happy with your purchase. It should last for decades.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017   #3

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Old Achilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith0955 View Post
Does anyone have information on Achilles Rafts. Reliability? How durable? How do they handle? Etc...

Thanks in advance!
The old Achilles are top quality stuff. I don't know about the newer versions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2017   #4
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
We use Achilles boats at the company I work for.
The 90s models we have are tanks for sure.
They had some issues for a few years in the mid2000s tho. Most noticeably was the poor construction on floor i-beams.
We picked up a new one last year. Seems like a really solid boat. I like that they finally switched to leafield valves. The old ones had a screwy placement on the military valves.
I really do like them. They're all around good boats.
But personally I would stay away from 2000-2010 models

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017   #5

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I row a 2000 14' self bailer. Love it. I M fortunate and have the Tracy Harmon floor. No problem there. Bomber.
kayakerps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017   #6

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
I learned to row in a 14' Achilles bucket in the mid 90's. It tracked awesome with a little bit of water in it. Other than the 3D Achilles logo starting to take a beating the boat was bomber. I ran some pretty shitty lines dragging that thing over rocks a few times. You wouldn't know it afterward. Thing was a tank (and weighed as such).
Soup76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017   #7

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup76 View Post
I learned to row in a 14' Achilles bucket in the mid 90's. It tracked awesome with a little bit of water in it. Other than the 3D Achilles logo starting to take a beating the boat was bomber. I ran some pretty shitty lines dragging that thing over rocks a few times. You wouldn't know it afterward. Thing was a tank (and weighed as such).
People like to talk about the weight of Achilles. However, I see that the NRS E140 is only 5 pounds lighter (153lbs vs 148lbs).
kayakerps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017   #8

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakerps View Post
People like to talk about the weight of Achilles. However, I see that the NRS E140 is only 5 pounds lighter (153lbs vs 148lbs).
I didn't say it was a bad thing. I never weighed my old Achilles but it was a heavy boat and took 2 people to move around and load onto the trailer. Inflated with a day frame. Whereas I can load my 15' Otter with a 4 bay NRS frame onto my trailer by myself and the deck on my trailer is about 3 feet off the ground. I am guessing my old boat was made in early 80's and the hypalon was a lot thicker than my Otter.

Love your avatar BTW.
Soup76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017   #9

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
IMO Achilles are the most under-rated boat. double sided (I think) hypalon, I would put them right there with Hyside.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017   #10
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
I have said it time and again here, Achilles are awesome boats and as ob1 said, way underrated. The fact that they haven't done much in the way of marketing, updating tube size and design, valve placement, etc has made them fade away from mainstream conversation for the most part. They are likely one of the, if not the best made hypalon boats out there. They are the only ones left using double sided hypalon, they are the only hypalon boat that has 1" seams and they are fantastic cosmetically showing that their workmanship is still top notch. They did have some I-beam issues at one point, but what company hasn't. They are also the only hypalon boat I have never in 11 years had in the shop with seam or baffle failure.
I have talked with their main rep several times about a brand resurgence led by a few updates to the design and a little ad campaign and he has replied more than once that they are mainly focused on the dinghy market which is much bigger than the whitewater market. They are certainly worth consideration if you are in the market for a hypalon gear hauler.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote