A note on Creature Crafts - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-26-2012   #1

Snohomish, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
A note on Creature Crafts

I responded earlier to a thread about Creature Craft's recent descent of the Grand Canyon of the Stikine River in British Columbia because I noticed a lot of trolls and naysayers trying to diminish the accomplishment of the run; Saying things like 'that's stupid' and 'that doesn't count' and 'it's not a raft'.
Some of the responses had valid points but most were simply anti-Creature Craft rants from people that seem to have some sort of hang-up about the boats. I never really expected so much disdain from a boating community, especially given that the majority of the people that I meet in person are interested and excited, and willing to give it a try. So I'm curious, what is the problem, really?
  • Do you honestly believe it takes no skill to pilot one of these boats?
  • Does it somehow diminish your own accomplishments?
  • Do you think that CC's are "just stupid"? And if so, can you rationally explain why?
  • Why wouldn't you embrace a new technology that allows a different sort of experience with the river and mitigates risk?
  • Why does the concept of 'strapping in' make you scared/wary/scoff/whatever
  • Have you ever actually been in a Creature Craft and gone down a river? When/where, what flows, and how was your experience?

I am Brandon, from Creature Craft Creature Craft About Us . My youtube name is RiverDriver83 if you'd like to see some of my videos, or just type Creature Craft into youtube and surf around.

Feel free to ask me anything as long as it is polite and I will do my best to respond to your questions. And I would love to hear your answers.

RiverDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012   #2

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
i just think they look goofy bobbing down the river on their side with the paddler/paddlers flailing back and forth in an attempt to right it. i can appreciate what you guys are doing and given the opportunity i would love to try one out
Old 09-26-2012   #3

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I'll take a crack at a polite reply.

First, via every CC video I've ever seen, it appears to take no skill to survive most rapids that are runnable in a CC. People with obviously minimal class V experience on the NF Payette and the big falls (SF Payette?) reinforces this notion (but they are pretty good looking ladies).

Therefore, I think Jeff West said it best:

“There is nothing easy about this sport. It forces you to grow and learn. Most people spend their lives completely removed from the natural world. They only see it through their eyes. Kayaking allows you to actually participate in the wonders of nature. It is scary at first and nature will always demand your respect.

You never had fear before because you never truly experienced nature. You have spent a lifetime looking at it from a boat or raft or car. Rafting is superficial and is barely more than driving a car on a dirt road. Kayaking allows you the opportunity to actually participate in it. Your new found fears are a natural part of the awakening process.”

RIP my friend.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
A creature craft could be a fun way to experience a river tor some.I would not be opposed to trying it.BUT, the comparison I would make is that the CC is to raft as ducky is to kayak ( or outrigger to sea kayak) .I paddle mostly a specializeded ducky that is like putting training wheels on a creek boat a regular ducky is like putting training wheels on it.CC seems like putting two sets of training wheels and an outrigger on a raft.It is not that it requires NO skill just a lot less than other craft under the same conditions.On something extreme it is still.probably pretty exciting,but the severity of consequences are vastly reduced.You hear people talking admirably about crazy Russians in bubliks because what they to seems much more risky.Imagine the looks you 'd get as an adult riding a bike with training wheels.

Then there is what Joe was talking about, river intimacy (no not kinky) .I kayak too, you are more in the water and the boat is more like an extension of your body, not some. giant contraption you are strapped into like an amusement park ride.A riverboard may. even top kayaks in this aspect.There is Aldo something. funky about having part of the. boat overhead. So I think the problem is lack of consequences tainting the accomplishment
cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #5

Snohomish, Washington
"It appears to take no skill to survive most rapids that are runnable in a CC."

While it may not take any skill to survive [sic], it still takes skill to navigate a class V river, regardless of the type of boat that you are in. No one in a CC just sits there and hopes for the best while floating down the NF Payette. Everyone, despite their skill level, attempts to navigate the rapids and drive the boat. Some may not achieve it as readily as others, but that is entirely dependent on their skill at navigating whitewater. And while some make silly decisions, flip and get stuck on shallow rocks, the boat ENABLES them to have this experience and learn from it while lessening the risks of grievous bodily harm or death.
Old 09-26-2012   #6

DGO, CO
maybe the reason cc's are getting a semi negative wrap is that they take the skill out of surviving a class 5 river...
Old 09-26-2012   #7

Snohomish, Washington
So, the problem is that it lessens the consequences, and the severity of consequences is vastly reduced?
I fail to see how this is a problem. Honestly. When skydivers started updating their equipment with failsafes and backups was it the same? When mountain bikers started wearing helmets and protective body armor was it the same? When Mountaineers began using synthetic materials for protection from the elements, O2, or strapping ladders to the side of the mountain? Or were these ways for them to mitigate the risks of what they were trying to achieve? In every sport there are updates in technology that help to reduce the risks to the people involved.
And somehow this is "tainting the accomplishment"? I don't see it that way.
* - I just reread this and it sounds angry. I'm not angry, just trying to make a point.
Old 09-26-2012   #8

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
The buzz is much like reading whitewater, its a skill that needs to be developed. When you are a novice boater everything looks serious, every pourover, wave and hole gets your attention. After a while you just float through with a grin on your face.
Don't take this place so serious, guys are getting props for ghost boating a old canoe and shooting at it.I wouldn't get worked up to much what people think round here.
Fact is everyone is a bigshot on the net and I really doubt that many guys on here would have the stones to run the stikine in any craft.
With that said I think C.C are pretty gay when not running class 5. If you are not running the stout it's really pretty silly looking. I find them anoying when I see them on runs like the lochsa. It's about as extreme as indoor skydiving. Without the possibility of a flip, rafting is pretty boring.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #9

DGO, CO
dont make me repost the "hurt feelings report" into this thread too
Old 09-26-2012   #10

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I am impressed when people show obvious skill in any sport or activity that they are doing. The videos that I see of CC even the videos that Creature Craft uses for promotion often show the boats going sideways over drops and the paddlers or oarsman have the paddles and oars in the air, not in the water. This is not impressive and doesn't show skill at using the equipment. If the boatmen were doing impressive things, like rowing or paddling to make moves instead of hanging on to the boat and taking a ride I would find that impressive.