A Bunch of Raft Trailer Questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-19-2010   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
A Bunch of Raft Trailer Questions

I have read almost all the topics on raft trailers over the past couple of seasons. I am really wanting to get a real trailer, as I had to deflate and inflate so many times this past season. But my main problem is that my raft vehicle is a 4-cylinder 4Runner, so very underpowered. So I was looking at several Triton aluminum trailers, to help keep the weight down. Right now I have a 16' cat and a 15' raft that I would like to keep on the trailer. There seems to be a plethora of 8.5' by 10' snowmobile trailers out there. Would that be a good enough size for me, so I would have 3' of overhang on each side with the cat, as the waterline on my tubes are less than 10'

Also I read a lot about failures people have had with the 1500 pound axle bearings. Is a big concern with the Tritons also? Do all the newer Triton trailers come with sealed lights?

Is there something else that I should be looking at besides Tritons for my underpowered 4Runner?

BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010   #2
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
One of these

Old 10-19-2010   #3

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
These are great trailers: http://americanwhitewaterproducts.com/RaftFlyer.pdf
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010   #4

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Buy the Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandob9 View Post
Looks like a nice trailer but that thing is heavy. I think it said 550 Lbs. Plus expensive.

Buy the Triton, it weights half as much (maybe even less), and cost about a 1/4 of price of the prebuilt trailer. Do a few minor upgrades and you will have a perfect raft trailer.
ecarlson972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #5
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I just happen to have a modified snowmobile trailer that is 8x12. I have hauled both my 16' cat and 14' raft together on over a dozen trips on it. The cat does not hang off the sides, although it is still a little long. It's for sale on the MtnBuzz swap.

I just replaced the leaf springs after trying to carry the 16' cat, and TWO fully rigged 14' rafts- oops. Apparently 2 rafts is the limit.

I can't help you with your 4banger truck though.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #6
Piscatore

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Skype™ to Rex Piscatore
Maybe consider a Kit Trailer as an option...

If you are on a budget and only a little bit handy, you can build one of your own from a kit. I got mine from Northern Tool. See:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200356493_200356493
but I understand they are also available from Harbor Freight. See:
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/trailer-trailer-accessories/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels-90154.html
You can see from the pics that I added 4x6 cross-members to support 2x8 plywood outriggers to support my pontoons. The 4 ft overhang at each end on my 16 ft JPW cat has never been a problem. I coated the decking and outriggers on the trailer with roll-on Herculiner, to get a non-slip finish and moisture protection for the plywood. The kit trailers tilt, so if you substitute a longer 6 ft neck and add a wench, its easy to launch and retrieve for one person. I store my boat on the trailer in the garage in the summer so I'm always ready to go and also avoiding UV on my boat, but I tear everything down for the winter and store the folded trailer on the side of my house so I can put my Tacoma in the garage, out of the snow. The trailer tracks really well, and I've been all over Colorado, Wyoming and Montana at speeds I shouldn't go, with never a problem. BUT, I never submerge the hubs, (even with Bearing Buddies) and I clean and inspect the bearings, and re-pack the hubs every spring, and you should be doing that with any trailer anyway. I don't know how many miles I've put on the trailer, but I am on my second set of tires. I spent only about $600 building my trailer, and its lighter than any of your other options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JPW Cat w Trailer Tilted.jpg
Views:	7942
Size:	575.5 KB
ID:	3010   Click image for larger version

Name:	JPW Cat on Trailer.jpg
Views:	1427
Size:	484.5 KB
ID:	3011  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hard Cat on Trailer w Bike.jpg
Views:	2630
Size:	615.5 KB
ID:	3012  
Rex Piscatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #7

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemnky13 View Post
One of these

No, but without the wheels, it makes a damn good firepan!!
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #8
Skyles

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Look for other boat trailers that can be modified. My dad found an older moter boat trailer where the boat was wrecked and gone. He built a light weight platform and I haul my boat and sometimes several others stackedon top. I have a 15'7 aire and haul a 14 or 13 aire stacked on top. Cant help with the four banger cause i have a 6. If you need ideas i can send you picturethe trailer is very simple to biuld have 200 dollares in mine.
bnskyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #9

Idaho, Wyoming
aluminum trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
I have read almost all the topics on raft trailers over the past couple of seasons. I am really wanting to get a real trailer, as I had to deflate and inflate so many times this past season. But my main problem is that my raft vehicle is a 4-cylinder 4Runner, so very underpowered. So I was looking at several Triton aluminum trailers, to help keep the weight down. Right now I have a 16' cat and a 15' raft that I would like to keep on the trailer. There seems to be a plethora of 8.5' by 10' snowmobile trailers out there. Would that be a good enough size for me, so I would have 3' of overhang on each side with the cat, as the waterline on my tubes are less than 10'

Also I read a lot about failures people have had with the 1500 pound axle bearings. Is a big concern with the Tritons also? Do all the newer Triton trailers come with sealed lights?

Is there something else that I should be looking at besides Tritons for my underpowered 04Runner?

i have a 2006 (?) triton 8 x 12 aluminum flatbed tilt snow machine trailer, that i use for my cat and rafts. when i bought it, the base price was $1300. i added galvanized 13" wheels and 6 ply tires (the dealer bought them from a tire store because i wouldn't buy an aluminum trailer with painted 10" steel wheels and 10" tires). the upcharged was around $100 and included putting lifters in the suspension to accomadate the taller tires. i later bought a spare from the same tire store that he bought the upgraded wheels/tires from for another $85 and a spare tire carrier and jack from cabelas for about half of what the dealer wanted. his spare tire carrier was aluminum and much nicer then the galvanized carrier from cabelas, but these were the choices i made.

the trailer has been so awesome that i decided to look at buying another one. last year the price for the same basic trailer was close to $2000 w/o the options or tire/wheel upgrades so i looked around.

i looked at sled bed, which i have some experience with and they were a lot more money and they also have some distinctive strength advantages such as rolled edges on the upper bed sides.

i also looked at aluma which were very expensive, but seemed to be the best if you can afford it. a completley different style of framing using a welded Y in the tongue to flatbed connection as opposed to bending the material into a wishbone, which can't be as strong, because you can see the stress marks in the bends.

anyways, there is a lot of differences in the aluminum trailers you'll see advertised. it is worth researching and buying the best that you can afford. accidently, i ended up with the least expensive, most basic aluminum trailer and i have been very happy with it. i would buy another, but i still would not buy any trailer with smaller than 13" wheels and i would insist on galvanized wheels with 6 ply tires.

i hope this info helps, i'm sure it's a little overwhelming. i did not know any of this until after i bought my first aluminum trailer.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I pull our trailer with a 14' raft and 12.5' cat, with a 4banger 94 toyota truck. I have to pedal going up hills, but it does fine. And our trailer is heavy. One nice thing about Al is if you have to move it manually you won't kill yourself as easily

Tags
rafting