4 Rivers Lottery Delay - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-13-2019   #1

East Wenatchee, Washington
Paddling Since: 1976
4 Rivers Lottery Delay

This is what's showing this evening. A 3 week+ day govt. shutdown is causing a 5 day delay for a sub contractor to get their stuff together - doesn't make sense. I wonder about the Yampa, San Juan, Etc.

Info:
Due to delays resulting from the Federal government lapse in funding earlier this year, lottery notifications for the Four Rivers (Selway, Salmon, Middle Fork of the Salmon, and Hells Canyon-Snake) will be delayed until February 19, 2019.

Dang, just noticed another similar thread in General Boating - sorry.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2019   #2

Golden, Colorado
The next potential government shutdown is in less than two days.

If we all put on our tin foil hats and think too hard then maybe it’s also some minor protest, too, by pushing it out into the next shutdown and delaying the permits even further than the 19th. A “the idiots in Washington are keeping you from your permits!” type deal.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully, Dumpster takes his hit and moves on to his next failure.

(Removing tin foil hat now)
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
My Deso/Gray has been pushed to the 19th too. I wish we could tear this bandaid off and move on.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2019   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
The next potential government shutdown is in less than two days.

If we all put on our tin foil hats and think too hard then maybe it’s also some minor protest, too, by pushing it out into the next shutdown and delaying the permits even further than the 19th. A “the idiots in Washington are keeping you from your permits!” type deal.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully, Dumpster takes his hit and moves on to his next failure.

(Removing tin foil hat now)

No kidding.

And I thought Rec.gov was a private contract?
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
No kidding.

Me too....don't tell me they are subsidized by the government in some way. WTF
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019   #6
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
No kidding.

They are. They are a private contractor that is hired by the managing agencies to do the job. Even though we pay Rec.gov directly for applying, my guess would be that there is still some Gov. interface that must happen in order to run the Lottery's?

Getting pretty tired of Government shutdowns as well. We all pay a lot of money for Government to do it's job. It looks a lot like, a form of hostage taking, when politicians use this tactic, and it's getting really old. I am talking about ALL of the shutdowns in recent years.

Automatic vote out of office, in my book, if an elected official participates in this game.
Old 02-14-2019   #7

Pendleton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
As mentioned earlier, these clowns have nothing to worry about. So what if permit results are delayed by 5 days...one week...1 month? What are you going to do about it? Nothing!
No consequences or accountability= a broke system.
If I behaved like this at my job, I'd be laughed at and shown the door.
crossfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I do understand the need for permits so our favorite areas aren't literally "loved to death", but the shutdowns have also shown that we have a big, bloated bureaucracy and there really are a lot of non-essential personnel.

Permitting is pretty well a computerized system at this point, anyway. humans are needed for QC...but I'd tend to agree with you crossfox, they now have an excuse to not get the job done.

I put in for Jun/Jul dates myself; I will still either get drawn or not, but this just shows me another way how ineffective our .gov is. Yay!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Yeah, I am a little bummed they pushed it back.

To express our disappointment, I think we should all cancel our lottery applications this year Who's with me?
Rockgizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019   #10

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
I do understand the need for permits so our favorite areas aren't literally "loved to death", but the shutdowns have also shown that we have a big, bloated bureaucracy and there really are a lot of non-essential personnel.
I'm one of those "non-essential" personnel. I manage environmental reviews of national park service projects all around the country, and I do so by hiring private firms to augment our park teams to do the analysis, public outreach, and writing associated with these legally-required reviews. I also work closely with a range of park service scientists - biologists, ecologists, geologists, hydrologists, meteorologists, chemists, economists, social scientists - all of whom do primary data collection about national park resources and visitors. And all of whom are "non-essential" and whose work ceased during the 35-day shutdown. Under the Anti-deficiency Act, "excepted employees", the actual legal term for those excepted from ADA spending restrictions, are limited to a small class of public safety employees, plus a skeleton crew of administrators who are basically tasked with avoiding unnecessary losses (for example, from contract violations) until regular duties resume. In the case of the NPS, the majority of work we do to carry out Congress's mandates in the Organic Act and various park-specific enabling acts is "non-essential" relative to the ADA. Now, you're entitled to your opinion, but mine is that this work is valuable, required by Congress, and indispensable to having high quality protected areas for us to enjoy.

And, I haven't the slightest idea why the permit lotteries are delayed, but I'm willing to accept that something is just taking a little longer to finish, and Tuesday is pretty soon.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote