2019 North Platte Beta - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Spearfish, South Dakota
Paddling Since: 3
2019 North Platte Beta

Hey, all. Thinking about running the N. Platte this coming weekend. Flows are 1,900 CFS today. I've done Routte to Treasure Island once (850cfs with a 16' raft). We basically pinballed through the Narrows but managed to squeak through unscathed. (That combo is slightly too big and too low, BTW).

From reading through past threads, it seems like 1,200-2,000 CFS is the sweet spot between too boney and too scary. If that's where it's hanging next weekend, the plan is to float Northgate. If it's lower, the plan is to put in a Six Mile and floating to Treasure Island.

Looking for any feedback re: my flow assessment and about launching at Six Mile. I know it means hauling a lot of gear, but is that the only potential downside? Have never seen that access. Any reports on conditions/hazards from anyone who's been down this year?

We'll probably have 3 guys and 1 boat, so if anyone else is planning to run that weekend, feel free to reach out. Thanks!

- eric

speargoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Hard to imagine less than 1,200 next weekend. It could rise just as easily as drop - so much snow remaining.

Six mile is easy except for the walk. But it's an actual walking path so plenty of room to carry a boat. Just plan on extra time for a few trips carrying gear. I would plan on launching at Routt.
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Spearfish, South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Hard to imagine less than 1,200 next weekend. It could rise just as easily as drop - so much snow remaining.

Six mile is easy except for the walk. But it's an actual walking path so plenty of room to carry a boat. Just plan on extra time for a few trips carrying gear. I would plan on launching at Routt.

Thanks, Bruce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
7,000 CFS over the weekend!

Did you venture in? 7,000 is possibly an all-time high. Expected to dip "down" for a few days and ramp back up later this week. Wow.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Spearfish, South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Did you venture in? 7,000 is possibly an all-time high. Expected to dip "down" for a few days and ramp back up later this week. Wow.

Haha, uh...no. And to think, I was worried about LOW water! Going to wait until things calm down a bit. However, I sure hope someone goes and gets some photos/footage! 7,000CFS through Northgate would be a sight to see.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Next Weekend

I am probably going next weekend. I've run it at 5,000 before, it may be higher.