2011 RMR Floors? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-11-2016   #1

lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
2011 RMR Floors?

Anyone out there have problems with their 2011 RMR raft floor holding air? Have never been able to get mine to stay nice and inflated. Have changed the pressure release valve twice and done multiply hot soapy water tests on the floor, with no leaks. The boat has about 50 days of use on it. It will hold air pretty good on dry land but as soon as its on the water it goes very soggy within 30 minutes.

MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2016   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Have you tried topping it off once you put it on the water? That is, you're sure it's not just the air in the floor cooling down?
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016   #3

lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Have you tried topping it off once you put it on the water? That is, you're sure it's not just the air in the floor cooling down?
yup, top it off several times a day on the water.
MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2016   #4

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
I know my 2012 rmr floor does not hold the correct pressure. The relief valve pops around 2 psi. I think the floor should have 5 to 7 psi. This raft is 4 years old but only has 10 river days on it. I got it from a friend who just did not use it. I believe l am going to remove the valve and modify the spring.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016   #5

Rivertown, West Virginia
P S If you have checked it for leaks then the pressure relief valve is the only thing it could be
Old 11-13-2016   #6
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis catman View Post
I know my 2012 rmr floor does not hold the correct pressure. The relief valve pops around 2 psi. I think the floor should have 5 to 7 psi. This raft is 4 years old but only has 10 river days on it. I got it from a friend who just did not use it. I believe l am going to remove the valve and modify the spring.
5 to 7 psi? not unless it is drop stitched.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
If there was a wide spread problem with the floors of any RMR vintage I would have known about it since I do their warranty. They replaced a few floors that year, a couple with leaks at the corners of the floor (they were obviously bubbling) and there were a few replaced for blown I beams but held air fine. Nothing any other manufacture selling that number of boats didn't have.

If your floor is leaking to the point of needing topping off several times a day you should be able to find a leak on the floor or the PRV. If the PRV is leaking, clean or replace, easy enough. The 2011's came with a white dot (2.75 psi) which is the stiffest any floor I am aware of comes with. Actually, the new SOTAR's may come with a heavier one but Im not positive about it. PRV's are known to leak, they are always a problem and I clean mine incessantly. 90% of floor leaks that come into the shop have a PRV leak (coupled with other leaks sometimes). If there is another leak it can be patched etc. You can bring it in for professional eval if you cant find it.

There is no I beam floor that is made to run at 5-7 psi, typically 1.75-2.75psi. Dropstitch floors usually run around 10psi.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016   #8

Rivertown, West Virginia
My bad on the pressure but do check your valve
Old 11-14-2016   #9

Salida, 81201
Paddling Since: 1995
I'm sure you have but, have you checked the valve. I've seen them leak, and just needed another 1/2 turn to tighten. Soapy water will tell
thinksnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016   #10
Sponsoring Vendors

Danville, California
Paddling Since: 1970
I was going to say the same thing as ThinkSnow - that sometimes people check the P.R. or main valve opening for leaks, but not around the outer edge. PVC can compress over time like an engine gasket, and in turn the valve becomes slightly loose - so always squirt the soapy water around the valve perimeter too.
theBoatPeople is offline   Reply With Quote