2011 Poudre Raft Race (maybe yaks too) - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-09-2010   #1
Roosternater

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
2011 Poudre Raft Race (maybe yaks too)

So I searched the Buzz and the only thing I could find is the 2007 Five-company race. Does anyone know the history of a poudre rubber race? If you push plastic and have beta about the Gnarrows race I'd like your input.
Small time: Shit talkin' and unwanted advances at each other's ladies (or dudes if you're not swinging temperature gauges) from Steven's to BTO between companies.
Big Time: Inviting the world, finding a sponser(s), getting permits, having divisions and making a good early season party out of the damn thing.

I figured if the process started now some kind of show could be put together on a raft guide schedule... before freakin May.

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Better plan it on a weekend other than paddlefest. And a highwater race might attract more boaters
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010   #3

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
That would be fun. I always thought about a Steven's to BTO "marathon" race (kayak) cause I'm a marathoner but I just figured noone would like the long paddle?
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010   #4

there was an unofficial raft race between the companies most years at high water until last year. The forest service shut it down by threatening the raft company owners. I think the problem with the raft company race was the large number of spectators who drove along following the race.

If you want an official race and dont want to be shut down by the forrest serice you can apply for a special use permit. Otherwise keep it low key - Ive seen people promoting a "paddlers paddling faster than usual" event to throw the scent off.

I think the gnarrows race is small enough that the forrest service doesnt care. Keep the spectators to a minimum and you'll be fine.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Gannon do you race gnarrows 2
Old 11-09-2010   #6
Roosternater

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I've contacted timberline tours (the company that puts on the Gore race) and it seems the first step is finding out if a special group use permit is possible. After that insurance for participants and spectators needs to be obtained so.... I'm going to contact the forest service to say we'll play nice and that the boaters who would participate are much more respectful than Mish hippies. Seeing as I'm the inverse of rich, sponsership commitment would be a must as well as early commitments from watermen and waterwomen in order to make the costs of this sort of shindig possible. Again, I am below the middle class income line and "free" is why I love whitewater but... would anyone even be interested in an organized race on the Poudre?
Old 11-09-2010   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Not many will pay cash to race if they won't get something else out of it.. you need mass quanity of swag

Tags
rafting