2 bridges to catamount this Sat advise - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-09-2016   #1

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
2 bridges to catamount this Sat advise

MB Gang,

2nd year on the oars, looking to possibly take my raft down the Co river from 2 Bridges to Catamount this Saturday. Flows are close 4700 cfs today. We've only floated it around 1-1,300 cfs which was super easy.

My first question is how safe is that stretch at this current run off level to run that water at these higher flows? I'd like to hone my skills more at bigger water and am betting with these increased flow this would be a good stretch to test and practice on with no really big rapids to maneuver through? Just more and bigger wave trains?? Anything to look out for?

Also does anybody know if the new take out at Catamount has been completed yet?

But my major concern is safety. Im getting better on the sticks and feel more and more confident in my skills. Just some heads up advice would be helpful.

Thanks all for your advice! See you on the river...
ST

scottyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2016   #2
Jon Tucker Stavney

Eagle, co, Colorado
That reach is very calm even at high water, no Rapids. Bridge immediately before Catamount takeout is nearly complete and not an issue. Remember to be ready for blind takeout River left just under that bridge. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
jonstavney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
We did Rancho to 2 Bridges Monday. All was well, though the final bridge was a tight squeeze (I think they've opened the takeout before the bridge to account for that).

It's only our fourth summer and I still share your concern about skills vs. conditions. Been inching up slowly every year, trying to get more and more confident. I was comfortable at these flows, and even though our 7 year old wasn't on this one, I finished the day thinking I would've felt safe taking him. The wave trains are just bigger, and anywhere there's a sharper bend the river has more power to push you into walls or banks (and faster). Be mindful of that, and square up on the waves, and all is well. Have fun, be safe......
dafewillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2016   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
How long did your float take from Rancho to 2 bridges?
troutbum001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #5

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum001 View Post
How long did your float take from Rancho to 2 bridges?

I haven't run that stretch yet this year. I've run it @ 1100 cfs last year And did it in 3 hours 15 min. With a 20 minute stop in between.

Scott Taylor

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
scottyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
We did it in 5, but we stopped and fished a few times, had beers, etc.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mountain Buzz mobile app
dafewillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016   #7

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Did Cottonwood (just above Radium, across from Cabin) to Catamount Saturday of Memorial Weekend in 7 hours with a walk to dino tracks and a long lunch. Flows 2700 at Kremmling then. Two Bridges to Catamount is the flattest stretch of river from the confluence to Bair Ranch, you'll be fine skill wise. Greatest hazard is probably plowing into a willow full of Canada goslings.

Seriously consider going to the Pinball boat ramp, like 7 miles past Catamount. You'll get to run the Rodeo Hole then. Scout is easy river right, river becomes a lake after Burns and you can't miss it. Rapid is young and Canyonesque. Above 3200 or so @ Kremmling there is a sneak route left of the center rock, at lower flows the run is a ton of fun through the meat and it's a swimming pool afterwards.
MaverickUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016   #8

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
The first rapid after Catamount is a blast at these levels too. Anybody know a name for that one?
MaverickUSC is offline   Reply With Quote