14 ft cataraft rowers position ?s - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
14 ft cataraft rowers position ?s

Proud new owner of a 14ft ocelet w/recretec frame. Never rowed one and iam fairy inexperienced in general. When i was looking at these it allways seemed from pictures that the rowers seat looked forward of center(their in front) now that i have it set up in my yard and since its used , i used old wear marks, it looks like the seats center fore and aft in the tube. Iam a pee wee (5'5"140) and i need to move the seat and oar towers and was just wondereing what affect the seat and towers had on handling in a general since and if i load it with stuff if that would warrant a change also? I will take a passenger (wife) and we may do weekends i hope. I read on boatpoeple review how they thoight it handled vest with around 900 lbs? Id have to load everything i own to do that. Just bored at a boring job and was courious. Maiden voyage this weekend! Woot woot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190521_201638_1558711218997.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	35391  

Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Pretty much, in a cat anyway, there's 2 schools of thought. Forward, or center. The Packfic coast folks tend to like it forward from what I have seen, and the midwest is center, or toward the rear some if carrying a passenger. Forward rigged puts the gear toward the rear, and center splits the weight. The important things are oarlock position, and a level load when in the water.

Without going too deep into it, a good rule of thumb to use for a starting point is, when the oars are parallel to the water (ground if the boat is on land) and perpendicular to the tubes, the oar handles should be 6 inches in front of, and 6 inches above your knees when you're in a sitting position. You can tweak things from there to your personal preference.

Lastly, the more weight you put on a cataraft, the more it will detract from your handling. 900LB sounds like a lot, am guessing you're about 150lbs, will guess your wife is the same, so there's 300 lbs to start. For a weekend, your cooler will weigh about 100lbs with food and beer, 50 lbs a piece for your drybags, and 100 lbs for your required equipment, (pump, throw bag, groover, dishwash etc) and another 50 lbs for your misc stuff that most folk bring along.

Try a day trip somewhere where you can just go yourself, with little weight, figure out how the boat handles and what it will, and will not do, and experiment. A light boat is MUCH easier to re flip, and you'll have some good intel to start tweaking, and rigging, and remember, don't take things too seriously, having fun is paramount, there are very few "right" and "Wrong" ways of boating, at the end of the day it's what works for YOU.

Hope this helps, and remember, with MY advice and 5 bucks you can get a cup of coffee at Starbucks LOL
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

La Grande, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Home made frame on a 12 foot

Here is a movie of our 12 foot cat on the Rogue. We are about center. Cooler up front, dry box in the rear, along with other gear. Seat a little in front of center, just o balance. These boats are GREAT. We have taken them down MFS, Main, Owyhee, and others. We have had two people on it but it rides a little low in the back. Oar towers are fully adjustable forward and back, as well as seat.
salmonjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

La Grande, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Movie didn't upload so here is a photo on the Grand Ronde
salmonjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
MNichols nailed it. Really nothing more to add until you have a more specific question.

To add emphasis, cats suck when you overload them. How do I know? I've owned six of them, including an Ocelot. If you overload them they tend to hug the bottom of the river and handle like a dog. Likewise, load them as balanced on all four corners as possible.
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Thanks ! On a related note. My drybox doesnt fit afterall and i was wondering how low into the boat to go with one? Should i buy a shallow one or does it matter? It will not have dry box on in serious whitewater but want it for storage on flatter water overnights. Thanks
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
Thanks ! On a related note. My drybox doesnt fit afterall and i was wondering how low into the boat to go with one? Should i buy a shallow one or does it matter? It will not have dry box on in serious whitewater but want it for storage on flatter water overnights. Thanks

Ok, well again, a rule of thumb is you don't want it hanging in the water. Typically it would sit flush with the top of the down tubes on your frame, the U shaped ones that run the length of the frame and hold the tubes apart.

I just gotta know, why wouldn't you take it along on whitewater ?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Ok, so just the frame depth on a cataraft. I have another seat and i figured i could just do that or nothing for challanging whitewater day trips. I not a very experienced whitewater guy so i wont be doing big stuff. Just figured you didnt want anything hanging down so low it would catch water right? Lol. Common sense i guess but the box will be pretty shallow following that as a guide. Will measure it and see if i can find one to fit. My wife and kid sit on ours in the raft bummer it wont fit there spendy lol
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Ok, so just the frame depth on a cataraft. I have another seat and i figured i could just do that or nothing for challanging whitewater day trips. I not a very experienced whitewater guy so i wont be doing big stuff. Just figured you didnt want anything hanging down so low it would catch water right? Lol. Common sense i guess but the box will be pretty shallow following that as a guide. Will measure it and see if i can find one to fit. My wife and kid sit on ours in the raft bummer it wont fit there spendy lol

Well, ok. You indeed don't want anything hanging down in the water for numerous reasons.

Any competent metal fab shop / welding shop that works with aluminum can easily make your box shallower, narrower is harder, but it can be done without a huge investment in a new box.

I personally rig my boat at the beginning of the season, and derig at the end, but then I have a trailer and a whitewater designs boat cover, which especially with a cat, is a dandy thing to have given the hassle of rigging and derigging every time you want to boat.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Pretty much, in a cat anyway, there's 2 schools of thought. Forward, or center. The Packfic coast folks tend to like it forward from what I have seen, and the midwest is center, or toward the rear some if carrying a passenger. Forward rigged puts the gear toward the rear, and center splits the weight. The important things are oarlock position, and a level load when in the water.

I tend to agree.

From what I've seen (lots of cats on the Lochsa), the PNW folks tend to rig a bit farther forward, especially on day runs. Forward gets you and your mass past the break of a wave or the pull of a mid-sized hole. You can have your momentum through it before it realizes it has you. If you're more centered, you should be more able to easily back surf.

Quote:
Try a day trip somewhere where you can just go yourself, with little weight, figure out how the boat handles and what it will, and will not do, and experiment. A light boat is MUCH easier to re flip, and you'll have some good intel to start tweaking, and rigging, and remember, don't take things too seriously, having fun is paramount, there are very few "right" and "Wrong" ways of boating, at the end of the day it's what works for YOU.

Too few people take their boats out and flip them, then they panic when they're flipped in "interesting" water.
It's warming up. Go out and play on flat water.

OP, not sure if you can take a boat in Hyalite reservoir or Bozeman pond? I'm in Bzn at least every other week and would be happy to flip boats with you.

Quote:
Hope this helps, and remember, with MY advice and 5 bucks you can get a cup of coffee at Starbucks LOL

Better make it $6. That shiz is expensive.
Or for $6 I can have 1/2 lb of some good beans and make my own in camp. Wanna cuppa?

Quote:
for challanging whitewater day trips. I not a very experienced whitewater guy so i wont be doing big stuff.
Do you want to? (serious question)
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote