10 inch wheels for raft trailer question. - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-17-2015   #1

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 5
10 inch wheels for raft trailer question.

Hi there, I don't have 1500$ or even 1000$ to spend on a new raft trailer... I've barely got enough to scrape up the 400$ that this guy on craigslist wants for his used snowmobile trailer. HE says it's in great shape and holds up well. Only problem is that it has 10" tires. I've heard that it may not be the wisest to go with that size and 12" is the minimum that I should go with. The guy insists that this trailer is solid and he has had it for several years hauling two sleds that were around 1600 lbs loaded. Is this a good deal or should I keep looking? Sorry no pictures at the moment. OH BTW I am using a 1996 Tacoma and will be hauling from the bumper hitch. IS this method okay to use? I don't really want to spend the extra money to install a new hitch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm only looking for a 12' raft max.

ulk768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015   #2

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Make sure you grease them regularly, especially if you get them in the water. They spin a lot more revolutions per mile. Run them like that and upgrade to 12" when funds allow. Bumper hitch should be fine but you might ride a bit low at the rear of the trailer. Your boat will want to work itself to the rear if its not flat.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #3

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Check the size of tires and wheels it has carefully. Most snowmobile trailers have a tire size of 20.5 x 8 x 10, load range E (1600#'s) with 5 lug wheel. Tires with wheels $140 on amazon per pair. Keep the pressure correct, 50#and put on bearing buddies if it does not have them. It should do a fine job for you. I pull a fully rigged cat on mine 1600 pounds when loaded with gear.
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015   #4

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
It will burn tires up FAST with hwy travel. I had a trailer with 10s on it and I put tires on sometimes twice a season. I now have 15s and they lasted 4 years with lots of use.
Old 03-17-2015   #5

Missoula, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanji View Post
It will burn tires up FAST with hwy travel. I had a trailer with 10s on it and I put tires on sometimes twice a season. I now have 15s and they lasted 4 years with lots of use.
dang, I hope that doesn't come up to big too big of an issue. I'm pretty handy so I can make sure the bearings are repacked/greased. If the tires are able to be upgraded I'll do that for sure. I get to check it out tomorrow, maybe I'll post pictures or something if I'm not immediately sold on it so I can get more advice. Thanks for the replies. Keep em comin' if you have any more suggestions/knowledge.
Old 03-18-2015   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I had those tires on my trailer and they held up real well. I have since swapped them out for 13" steel belted. Even though the 10s were doing fine it made me nervous to travel at highway speeds.

I would by the trailer. Like Spider said, you can always upgrade later.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #7

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
Make sure to put trailer rated tires on it. Not "P" rated passenger car tires. They will serve much better until you can upsize later.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #8

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
Actually that is true for any size wheel/tires you end up with.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Currently my trailer has 13" P185/80-13 tires on it. I planning on buying trailer tires this year. What are your thoughts on Bias vs Radial tires? I do a bit of driving out of state for raft trips and a lot in state. Mostly driving on highways but getting into a few put in we are on dirt roads such as MFS.
Rockgizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #10

Missoula, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgizmo View Post
Currently my trailer has 13" P185/80-13 tires on it. I planning on buying trailer tires this year. What are your thoughts on Bias vs Radial tires? I do a bit of driving out of state for raft trips and a lot in state. Mostly driving on highways but getting into a few put in we are on dirt roads such as MFS.
That is a good question. I have no idea hopefully someone here will be able to answer.