1 person framed raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-09-2014   #1

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2012
1 person framed raft

Hello new member long time lurker. I see there is another question by another member down the page and I did not want to hijack.

Looking for a 1 person framed boat for day floats on the Deschutes, Klickitat, and possibly the Sandy. The boat would be used for transportation only (fishing once I stop), I am more concerned with stability versus fun, and I do not need to take much gear.

I had a Watermaster Kodiak and while I liked it, I definitely want a framed 1 person boat, open to suggestions.

Currently the top of my list is the Hyside MiniMe with a frame from riverboatworks.

Thanks

Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Hyside Mini Me or Mini Max would be great. If you ever anticipate carrying two people, or doing an overnight/weekend trip, then go for the Mini Max so you have room. Most folks find that once they get on the water and see all the fun they can have, they usually wish they had a bigger boat that can handle more situations. So I'd say go with the Mini Max.
Old 02-09-2014   #3

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
The little mini me - max are more fun than stable. At least in whitewater. Lots of buzzards will probably say get an aire. More stable but heavier.
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014   #4

Sandy, Utah
Here's another Hyside option. Outfitter 12. Next size up from the Mini Max. 12 ft. long & 6 ft. wide, 80ish pounds. Enough stability for class II-III fishing. Enough room for overnight/weekend trips.
Old 02-09-2014   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Because you say stability is a priority, the mini max is probably better for you than the mini me. I have a max, and consistent with a previous observation, bought a 12' Sotar late last season (even more stability and more friends in the boat). I don't know the rivers you mention, but I've flipped the mini max (with 2 paddlers) in a wave called "Big Kahuna" on the Snake in Wyoming (it was the second wave that got us after the first wave stalled us some). I was running the meat as they say and could have sneaked it, but wanted to see how it would do.
If it's really just one person, the Hyside Paddlecat with a simple frame rocks -- I think it is more stable than the minimax (but hard to say for sure, others might chime in on that).
I can put the minimax with frame on the car roof by myself for local trips (it is easier with two); same for the paddelcat with frame.
I'm sure there are other options, just speaking of the ones I know a little about.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014   #6

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovice View Post
I have a max, and consistent with a previous observation, bought a 12' Sotar late last season (even more stability and more friends in the boat).
Yep. That's the way it goes. I'm on my 6th boat in 17 years. Only 1 of those 6 boats was a step back in size. Needs change over time. I've learned that once you start running rivers, that "only one boat" idea goes right out the window.
Old 02-09-2014   #7

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2012
Thanks for the ideas. I am looking for this size boat so I donít have to row another person or do any overnight trips. No fishing from the boat just a water taxi.

Dave
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
If I truly intend on never taking anyone else, I would go with mini max. But since I have plenty of friends and family, I could never really consider anything smaller than 12', even just one more person can max out a mini max, not to mention the mini-me. The 9.5 and 10.5 foot hyside boats are quality, stable, and really fun, but remember they can go over in Class II waves and especially some of the manufactured waves we've seen proliferate over the last decade.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014   #9

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
...The 9.5 and 10.5 foot hyside boats are quality, stable, and really fun, but remember they can go over in Class II waves...
Hmm, I'm no expert , but I think the mini MAX handles Class II very well. My flip was in a big class III wave. I suppose it "could" go over, but I don't think I'd be too worried about that. Others, please correct me if wrong.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014   #10

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
I think you are looking for a small cataraft with one seat.

Kyle
Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote