WTD with So.Platte above Oxford? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-08-2018   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
WTD with So.Platte above Oxford?

So they have done a lot of work,looks like 3 or 4 new drops, around the old Quincy rapid and U -hole.They look close to completion ,if not done.Have only car scouted on way to and from work.Is the river open through there?What is the verdict from both SUP'ers and kayakers on the drops that were new last year?Can rafts even run the very narrow chutes\are there raft lines?Any other changes to the urban run? I liked the U-hole,Florida drop,last drop at Union in the old days,seems like most changes are for the worst whitewaterwise .

They sometimes release from Chatfield in April and May in low water years,pretty dry on the plains so they may need irrigation water soon (?) or has recent rain\show changed that?.Snowpack on the Front Range is below average but not terrible and reservoirs are in good shape.Any feel for what season could be like on FR dam controller runs?Roberts diversions?

Watch ,they will have the river closed and/or work incomplete when the flows are good...hope i am wrong

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2018   #2
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
From what I've heard....

From what I heard from a friend working on the current Chatfield Plan is they plan on rising the of Chatfield around 15'. This would change the face of Chatfield dramatically. The Gravel Ponds and the current beach will be way underwater. Now most of that water is going to have to come from both the North and South Forks of the South Platte. He also mentioned that the long term plan is going to be to have more water running down the South Platte through Denver more often to better support the general heath of the river.

The two previous drops at River Park were nice. Yes you could run a raft down through the park. More drops always means more fun and more options for playing. FYI the South Platte River Clean-Up is coming up on April 21st. It's a great time to check out the new drops firsthand.
Old 04-10-2018   #3

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I cannot speak to what's taking place in the South Platte at the moment. However, I am linking to the Chatfield Reallocation project website for those interested in what the park "should" look like when its finished. They're suggesting the gravel ponds will still exist...

Chatfield Reallocation

Matt
TennesseeMatt is offline   Reply With Quote