Would a Whitewater Dories subforum be a possibility? - Page 15 - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #141

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
If you still have the same cooler, run with it. If it only has cold food, seems you'd then want to put your beer/water in the front cross hatch to equalize the weight. It would push your weight out toward the ends..and turn slower, but still balance the same as if all the weight were under your butt or in the side hatches.

NOOOO!!! I have been told by numerous folk in the know, you do not want your weight spread out, Bread in the back compartment, and light in the front, most of your weight you want as close to you in the rowing compartment as possible.

I think you do need a pump Shawn, they are super nice to have, specially if you wanna do Grand Canyon, and then I'd call them a necessity.

If you want to tie a float bag in, think footman's loops on the floor in the corners, and cam straps.

MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #142

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Speaking of brass footman loops and padeyes, I just got a care package from that nice horse place to which you sent me a link. 1/2 the price of anywhere else. Also got trigger snaps and bolt snaps for bailing buckets and oar tethers.

https://wcircle.com/inc/sdetail/10404
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #143

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
They are nice people, and the only place I was able to locate solid brass stuff, doesn't hurt that they are cheap too. I got that link from Brad. Another link he sent me was to highlandwoodworking.com , the bar clamps are always on sale. Bought a bunch for when I redo Ashkii's hatches.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #144

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
So...I got new hatch seals in today and the new bilge pump gets here tomorrow.

I pulled all old bilge system out today and got a better idea of what I'm working with. I think I'm gonna have to replace most of the hoses that connects everything...but that is no big deal.

So...the hose that is/was installed in the boat is 1 5/16"(1.3125") ID. It is flexible PVC and says "Tigerwall" on the side... probably just whatever the hardware had for that size and type of tubing. The metal tubes/nipples that connect between the hatch walls and into foot wells is 1.3125" OD to match...and is .125 wall so about 1 1/16" ID. It feels like that will be the bottle neck. The output of the old pump had a much smaller plastic hose going through a larger PVC tube. I forgot to put a caliper on it...but it looks bigger then the other hoses and my guess (and hope) is that its 1.25" hose.

With all those hose sizes in mind...I think I got the right pump. It would be a pretty big project to upgrade to a larger size...so I'm hoping it will work out. I scoped out the placement of the pump in the captains well...and there is a perfect spot for it under the foot push boards where I won't be kicking it too much. Gonna make a little platform to put in the bottom of the captains well to make a little sump area for it too. The switch and wiring from the old pump looks janky...so I'll probably replace all that too.

I got Trimlok gaskets to replace the hatch gaskets. Most of the hatches have 2 or 3 sides of the hatch with just a metal edge, but most of them have at least one side that is flat (one is all edges and one has two flats) so I got some gasket to do both styles. Gonna squirt some RTV or Super glue or maybe use contact cement to seal the gaps between the styles of gasket.

I got this one for the edges...

and this one for the flats...

Not too long and I'll need to be drilling some holes in my boat... not really looking forward to that but it'll have to be done.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #145

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
So...the hose that is/was installed in the boat is 1 5/16"(1.3125") ID. It is flexible PVC and says "Tigerwall" on the side... probably just whatever the hardware had for that size and type of tubing. The metal tubes/nipples that connect between the hatch walls and into foot wells is 1.3125" OD to match...and is .125 wall so about 1 1/16" ID. It feels like that will be the bottle neck. The output of the old pump had a much smaller plastic hose going through a larger PVC tube. I forgot to put a caliper on it...but it looks bigger then the other hoses and my guess (and hope) is that its 1.25" hose.

With all those hose sizes in mind...I think I got the right pump. It would be a pretty big project to upgrade to a larger size...so I'm hoping it will work out.
That seems like a reasonable solution. Running a 1.5-2" ID pump through that small boat tubing won't be efficient.

The Trimlock gaskets you picked look good. They "smoosh" together on the corners. I don't think you need RTV...it's not as flexible as the Trimlok. I'd use a very thin smear of Aquaseal or a dot of CA glue to glue the corners together. If you cut them 1/8" long, they'll "smoosh" together and should seal tightly, too.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote