Working in Clear Creek WW Park again - Winter 2016 - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-16-2016   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Working in Clear Creek WW Park again - Winter 2016

The heavy equipment is back in the river pulling deposits out of the lead in to rodeo and placing it downstream on the beach.

I talked to a park ranger and he said they'd be pulling excess material throughout the run to make it "better for the kayakers because they'll be out in a few months". Told him he's too late, I ran it last Thursday with my mini cat when there was a slight surge with the melt off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-16 08.29.34.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	11005  

Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2016   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Ha, they should do it in mid June when everybody's gotten beaten down and is done kayaking in water. Seems like the features all got destroyed after high water last year, good to hear they're trying to fix 'em up.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #3

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
It would probably make more sense to move those rocks completely out of the river instead of piling it up on the banks again. That crap just ends up in the middle of the river during high water.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2016   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Can they throw some concrete rubble and rebar in there to give it the genuine feel of urban boating?
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
The heavy equipment is back in the river pulling deposits out of the lead in to rodeo and placing it downstream on the beach.

I talked to a park ranger and he said they'd be pulling excess material throughout the run to make it "better for the kayakers because they'll be out in a few months". Told him he's too late, I ran it last Thursday with my mini cat when there was a slight surge with the melt off.
How was the narrow section just down stream of Washington St bridge?
Glacier on south side and concrete on north.
How mini is your mini? Frame & oars or R1/R2?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #6

Golden, Colorado
Slid through that slot just fine. Lots of ice for sure.

The cat is 11'6" with a single row station and cobra mini locks. Couldn't resist after all the chatter about front range runs last week.

Should be fun from Rigor to town when the creek rises.
Old 02-16-2016   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Are they actually changing the features or just pulling sediment out of the eddies?

I feel like after they messed with it last winter, Rodeo got worse and Bleacher became a surfable feature. Not sure if I like the idea of them messing with the features...
Old 02-16-2016   #8

Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
So the golden guage is still fozen right now and not giving any flow data. Any estimate on what the flow is? I will be in Denver later this week and was wondering with all the warm weather if there would be 80 cfs or so to play around in?
outwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016   #9

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin_smith View Post
Are they actually changing the features or just pulling sediment out of the eddies?

I feel like after they messed with it last winter, Rodeo got worse and Bleacher became a surfable feature. Not sure if I like the idea of them messing with the features...
Looks and sounds like it is primarily maintenance. They are hollowing out the channel and building up the sides. Not sure what the end result will be other than deeper water down the middle. The drops aren't at the moment being modified and the ranger that was snapping pictures yesterday spoke only of cleaning it up.

The crew has moved down to the beach area this morning and are actively dredging that area.

Andy, a few shopping carts, old tires and some carp would certainly give it that 1970s urban Lake Erie feel.
Old 02-17-2016   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Looks and sounds like it is primarily maintenance. They are hollowing out the channel and building up the sides. Not sure what the end result will be other than deeper water down the middle. The drops aren't at the moment being modified and the ranger that was snapping pictures yesterday spoke only of cleaning it up.

The crew has moved down to the beach area this morning and are actively dredging that area.

Andy, a few shopping carts, old tires and some carp would certainly give it that 1970s urban Lake Erie feel.
That's good. I feel like most whitewater parks need yearly maintenance like that.

Tags
ark