Wildlife harassment on the river - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-15-2018   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Wildlife harassment on the river

We voluntarily subject ourselves to the weekend sh#tshow on the Upper C on Saturdays - crowded ramps, drunken beer barges, tubers cocktailing their way across the river; all the usual stuff.

We have limited time off and we endure it, for better or worse. We pays our money and takes our chances, and most of it we're used to and usually find a way to get a little quiet time and space for ourselves.

It's a public resource (for the time being anyway), and the public uses it. Not always the way I would, but hey....it's a free country.

But one thing I DO NOT abide is wildlife harassment.

We were up there yesterday, and in one of the long flat sections, a boat was harassing a flock of geese - rowing up close and cornering them against an island, yelling at them, firing their water gun at them, and then sending their dog in to chase them in the water....until the birds had had enough and took off. We yelled at them to stop, but I don't know if they heard us.

A few years ago, we spied a foreign tourist (we could hear his accent) actually throwing stuff and yelling at a golden eagle munching a fish on a beach. I wanted to get out and clock that knob.

Geese may not be the most noble of wild creatures, but they live and breed there; we're just visitors.

WTF is it with people?? I don't want to be a cop out there, but this is unacceptable.

Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2018   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Must make them feel really tough to harass animals that can't fight back. Perhaps an encounter with Ursus americanus would turn out differently....

May have had abuse of people and/or animals as a normal in their lives.

Respect was not a part of their lives.

No rationale, just a nickels worth of "Why?"

Consider reporting incidents to the ranger or law enforcement...you're not the bad guy, just taking a step to protect the innocent.
Old 07-15-2018   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tomcat2 View Post
Consider reporting incidents to the ranger or law enforcement...you're not the bad guy, just taking a step to protect the innocent.
Actually, I did. There was a DOW ranger at Rancho, and I did report it.

We also got pictures of the dog chasing the birds. My wife had her long lens and we got pretty clear pictures of the boat and one or two of the passengers. This was as the birds were trying to get away from the boat.

The ranger gave us her card and asked us to send her the pics. I haven't decided yet if I will.
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2018   #4
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardance42 View Post
The ranger gave us her card and asked us to send her the pics. I haven't decided yet if I will.
Dew it!
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Absolutely send them!
Old 07-15-2018   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Totally agree. Wildlife harassment is unacceptable. I encourage you to send the photos to the authorities.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018   #7

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Wildlife harassment on the river

What is it about the upper C that attracts this demographic? You know the type: the chisel your name in a tree when shitting in the bushes while they "dispose" of their bottles and cans in the fire ring type.... The day that this stretch becomes permitted, where are all these ignorant assholes going to go boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Send the pics.

Part of the magic of floating is seeing wildlife.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018   #9

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Post the pictures here, I know a few assholes, maybe I'll recognize them.
Old 07-16-2018   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardance42 View Post

Please send CPW the pictures. If you want to help change things, this is your chance.
phillersk is offline   Reply With Quote