Whitewater park signage help - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-02-2013   #1

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Whitewater park signage help

The town of Wichita, Kansas has recently installed a fish ladder with around a dozen freestyle playspots and the city parks and recreation department is looking for examples of signage showing "rules and regulations" from other established whitewater parks around the country.... this is easier said than done. I have provided them with examples of the signs used for the AHRA access points, but they are still looking for more examples. If anyone has a photo of the sign at your local park, please share. They have had trouble this summer with having to close the park to all river access because they are having difficulty regulating who can and can't use it at high water...

Thanks

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
They need some stick figures of tubers or swimmers getting worked in holes as well as a stick figure getting foot entrapped. Something with ropes and objects on opposite sides of a rock would be good too.

Maybe a hypothermic stick figure along with some tips for warming up too.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
What the what? My parents live near Wichita and I had no idea this had been built (Thanksgiving just got a lot more promising). Can you direct me to any links that provide more info. (location, beta, flows)?
Paddle_like_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013   #4

Evergreen, Colorado
Not a sign but some good language from when Clear Creek was closed earlier this year.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ily-48562.html
gwheyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #5

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
No lions, tigers, or bears allowed at high water.
Old 09-05-2013   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
I have provided them with some pretty good text from AW as well as the AHRA and just some common sense things as well. Thanks.... the hypothermia stuff is good Dave, but really in their rainy season it's pretty damn warm, and even at flood the water's pretty toasty compared to around here.

I am originally from Ks, and that's why I have taken an interest in helping with this, but honestly I don't have a clue about directions to the features. My buddy Jason should be chiming in later this evening with some beta for you.

Surprisingly there seems to be a growing core of boaters in Kansas despite their topography and recent dry spell. The best website I have seen for beta is Kansas Whitewater Association, but there are a couple of boater groups on Facebook I could connect you with too...

Saw a couple cool pictures on that Kansas Whitewater page. This one is of a relatively unknown feature called "Chaw Falls" in the Flint Hills. Photo was taken 8/3.... Kansas has had big rain this summer....

The guy from the Rec board that I have been talking with wanted multiple examples he could present to the city. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2013   #7

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Is his a joke? Wichita?
Old 09-05-2013   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
No joke. Historically they have good rain, this summer has been a contradiction to the recent drought....

Check out the flow graph. For some reason no service will let me upload a gif file to get a code to paste it here.... but Wichita had flows between 500-1000 for a good part of the summer, with half of August in the 10,000 cfs range...

http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/..._date=20130905
Old 09-05-2013   #9

hutchinson, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle_like_Hell View Post
What the what? My parents live near Wichita and I had no idea this had been built (Thanksgiving just got a lot more promising). Can you direct me to any links that provide more info. (location, beta, flows)?
The boat chute is located at the Lincoln street dam south of downtown Wichita. Any questions you can text me at six 2 zero 2 zero zero 0375. As for thanksgiving probably won't happen this year as heavy rains damaged the retaining wall. This caused need for repairs shutting it down for awhile.
shonuffkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #10

hutchinson, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle_like_Hell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonuffkayak View Post
The boat chute is located at the Lincoln street dam south of downtown Wichita. Any questions you can text me at six 2 zero 2 zero zero 0375. As for thanksgiving probably won't happen this year as heavy rains damaged the retaining wall. This caused need for repairs shutting it down for awhile.
As for flows it is fairly steady as a dam force's water through the ladder/chute. Always a series of waves and holes at bottom. Higher levels just force holes higher until they lower the dam. That is when nice waves form below the dam and is the funnest time.
shonuffkayak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark