Which river advocacy/conservation/non-profit do you support? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 02-02-2017   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Which river advocacy/conservation/non-profit do you support?

With out getting political, I feel that we presently have many threats to our public lands and water. I have decided it is definitely time to start to finically contribute to some river/wilderness Non-profits and I am wondering which ones people support and why. I sure most people on here and in the country as a whole do not believe in the selling of public lands and do not want to see access cut off or have our public lands used and polluted by corporations. Again, I do not want this to be a political discussion I just want to know who you support and why.

American Whitewater? American Rivers? Or any of the numerous other conservation groups?

I gave a $50 donation last year to the Sierra Club last year and now I get about $10 worth of useless junk mail a week that i have to throw away. I regret supporting them bc I know they spent that money on marketing and not action. Im not opposed to marketing for donations but this is ridiculous.

I use American whitewater's website all the time so I want to support them but I really want my money to go to a group that is going to make an impact on protecting the river I enjoy so much.

Thanks for your input.

Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
AW for me is a no brainer - they seem to be the best mix of action/legal/protection across the nation. There has been lots of debate on American Rivers here, decide for yourself on that one.

If you have a local group they are awesome to help as well. Couple I found that look interesting but have not done any research on doing google searches:

Western Rivers Conservancy | River Conservation for Fish, Wildlife and People
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
American Whitewater, DRBA, GCPBA, NRDC...great information, AW and NRDC are
highly rated on Charity Navigator (more $ goes to causes vs. admin)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017   #4

page, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
i would disagree on gcpba... they are less interested in advocacy for private boaters than they are for simply maintaining the status quo.... my 2 cents...
azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treswright3 View Post
With out getting political, I feel that we presently have many threats to our public lands and water. I have decided it is definitely time to start to finically contribute to some river/wilderness Non-profits and I am wondering which ones people support and why. I sure most people on here and in the country as a whole do not believe in the selling of public lands and do not want to see access cut off or have our public lands used and polluted by corporations. Again, I do not want this to be a political discussion I just want to know who you support and why.

American Whitewater? American Rivers? Or any of the numerous other conservation groups?

I gave a $50 donation last year to the Sierra Club last year and now I get about $10 worth of useless junk mail a week that i have to throw away. I regret supporting them bc I know they spent that money on marketing and not action. Im not opposed to marketing for donations but this is ridiculous.

I use American whitewater's website all the time so I want to support them but I really want my money to go to a group that is going to make an impact on protecting the river I enjoy so much.

Thanks for your input.
Of course, American Whitewater is the number one paddler advocacy and whitewater river conservation group in North America.

I personally don't contribute to the Sierra Club, although I do appreciate their efforts. They tend to concentrate on getting urban individuals out in the wild and helping those who live in the city learn to appreciate nature.

My top choices for land conservation are The Wilderness Society and Conservation Lands Foundation. These two groups are responsible for organizing the national campaigns to protect the most valuable of our public lands.

There are other organizations by state and drainage that have major impacts on their specific areas, but it depends on what, if any projects and goals you want to support and what river you are most interested in.

From the fact that your profile says you live in Denver I would suggest checking out the Coalition for the Upper South Platte.

http://www.uppersouthplatte.org/partlink.html
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpowell View Post
i would disagree on gcpba... they are less interested in advocacy for private boaters than they are for simply maintaining the status quo.... my 2 cents...
I have to agree with your disagreement on that one. I've been overhearing a bunch of stuff where they essentially were the catalyst to failure of private boaters to advocate for increased responsible access to the canyon. Most notably, they blocked an effort by River Runners for Wilderness to have exceptions to the "once a year" rule on the GC similar to how Dinosaur National Monument does it (low use and high use season and short notice cancellation permits being available to people who already have been down or have a permit for later in the year).

AW and RRFW are probably the two I would choose over others. A lot of the other ones don't have the recreational whitewater user as their primary concern and care more about fisherman and hunters.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017   #7

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Earth Justice, because sometimes the Earth needs a good lawyer. The courts are the best tool we have at the moment
jgrebe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I just searched all the non profits listed so far on Charity Navigator and all of them that have at least $1 million in revenues broke down like this: (score is out of 100)

Conservation Lands Foundation - 97.34
http://conservationlands.org

Natural Resource Defense Council - 96.35
https://www.nrdc.org

Sierra Club - 94.08
Sierra Club Home Page: Explore, Enjoy, and Protect the Planet

Earth Justice - 92.25
Earthjustice: Environmental Law: Because the Earth Needs a Good Lawyer | Earthjustice

American Whitewater - 91.3
https://www.americanwhitewater.org

Wilderness Society - 84.19
Wilderness.org

The others weren't big enough to be rated.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017   #9

cedar city, Utah
I think if your goal is general river protection and whitewater access than its hard to beat American Whitewater. I have always appreciated their ability to advocate nationally while also maintaining local and regional contacts.

NRDC is widly respected for its overarching focus of public resources. Pretty broad but thoughtful, science based advocacy.

If you want a more regional focus I would take the time to read up on the organization. Each organization has different missions and therefore strategy which is worth knowing how they align with your priorities and styles.

Best of luck. I can't donate much but I have funneled the little money I can into organizations the last 2 months. I can't afford most memberships but I can donate some. Everything helps right niw, especially for the costs of lawsuits.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017   #10
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
American White water does a LOT from everything I've seen.
Dolores River Boating Advocates is another group I make sure to support as best I can, I think they are putting a huge effort into bringing the Dolores back to being a living river again, and it's a place dear to my heart.