Which packraft type is smoothest? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-27-2020   #1

Which packraft type is smoothest?

Hi everyone. I'm trying to go solo pack rafting or kayaking down a smooth river, but I have vertigo and bouncing on even the smallest waves would make it less enjoyable. It seems like a raft would be more stable from side to side motion but more bouncy up and down as oppose to a kayak. Is that true? I just want to lay back and float down the river with minimal movement. Any input would be appreciated.

Edit: I didn't think this would fit into white water rafting forum, so I posted it here.

smoothsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2020   #2

Portland, Oregon
May I suggest a sensory deprivation tank? Or a pool? If this isn't a troll I will say:
  • Solo rafting or kayaking isn't recommended for even very experienced folks, let alone someone that has serious vertigo issues.
  • Even easy water can be dangerous, especially alone.
  • No rafting is going to be stable, unless you are on flat water. Maybe try a lake?
I can relate to motion sickness. As much as I love the idea of flying, I can't get in a small (single engine) plane for more than half an hour without puking. I blame it on my bodies lack of trust of my brain after too many psychedelics when I was a teenager.
TboneCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneCooper View Post
May I suggest a sensory deprivation tank? Or a pool? If this isn't a troll I will say:
  • Solo rafting or kayaking isn't recommended for even very experienced folks, let alone someone that has serious vertigo issues.
  • Even easy water can be dangerous, especially alone.
  • No rafting is going to be stable, unless you are on flat water. Maybe try a lake?
I can relate to motion sickness. As much as I love the idea of flying, I can't get in a small (single engine) plane for more than half an hour without puking. I blame it on my bodies lack of trust of my brain after too many psychedelics when I was a teenager.
Did you actually read my post? I never said I had serious issues and I'm aware that rafts aren't 100% stable, all I asked was which boat shape/type has less up and down movement and which one has the least amount of movement overall.

Also, I'm just doing my part in distancing from other people (that and I would much rather go alone at my own pace, wherever and whenever most convienient for me).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2020   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
I'll bite. I'd say a big tube cataraft would be a smoother ride over a raft because of the stiff frame. A snout rig would be even smoother. Bigger is better.

Butt... If you want the best all around boat on the river......Avon.....hands down....is the only boat to float.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020   #5

Golden, Colorado
Go big. Go hypalon.

A big, hypalon raft will absorb and conform to the waves better than rafts of made of stiffer materials.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Go big. Go hypalon.

A big, hypalon raft will absorb and conform to the waves better than rafts of made of stiffer materials.
griz has a very good recommendation. A slightly under inflated hypalon boat will absorb a lot of energy. It is almost comical to watch one going down the MF Salmon at low water when they are intentionally under inflated to decrease hanging up by reducing draft and maximize flotation surface area.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020   #7
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Which raft type is smoothest?

The one that I am on the oars.....
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020   #8

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothsail View Post
Did you actually read my post? I never said I had serious issues and I'm aware that rafts aren't 100% stable, all I asked was which boat shape/type has less up and down movement and which one has the least amount of movement overall.

Also, I'm just doing my part in distancing from other people (that and I would much rather go alone at my own pace, wherever and whenever most convienient for me).
You're an asshole
Blade&Shaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothsail View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade&Shaft
You're an asshole
I can't really disagree! TBoneCooper's post even commiserated that they share sensory/motion issues.

OP, you asked a question on a forum where most people specifically enjoy the movement of the water in a whitewater river and have a lot of experience in a multitude of craft.

I am sorry for your vertigo issues, but no craft will eliminate the up/down gyration of waves that exist as a very condition of moving rivers. You would be better off asking, "what rivers have pretty scenery and mild to no rapids in xxx area?"

Pack rafts generally have low volume relative to their capacity. They need to be fairly well inflated to maintain their structure and buoyancy. I'd agree with the other users that hypalon boats do have less motion than other boats, but don't eliminate it entirely.

And solo may be a fun idea for hiking, but is not recommended for moving water. maybe try sea kayaking?
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade&Shaft View Post
You're an asshole
You're the asshole with your sarcastic comment about the sensory deprivation tank. I don't think my post was unreasonable, all I asked for was a comparison between different types of boats. If you think it sounds like trolling, then maybe you spend too much time on the internet.

It looks like Avon shaped rafts are the only suggestions here that are packable into a small carry bag, so I might go with that.