Which one? - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Taos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2010
Which one?

I’m looking at dry suits and can’t make up my mind. IR Arch Rival? Level 6 Emperor? Kokotat Meridian?
I just can’t make up my mind. Thoughts anyone?

TheSalamanderCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
IMHO... Kokatat > IR > Level 6.

Kokatat is basically the industry standard and really stand behind their stuff.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Kokotat hands down IMO. Turns out you get what you pay for!
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2011
Kokatat all day. I even own 2 of their “budget” Hydrus models for family members, and find them to be very reliable and durable. I personally use the Kokatat Expedition.

I might use a drysuit 12-20 days a year if I’m lucky.
Norcalcoastie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Don't settle for less than the Kokatat, I have the radius and am absolutely in love with it. The waist zipper is the bomb, relief from either end easily. Get the Chili Habenero liner to go with it, you won't regret it.
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Psychedelic Pirate

Grants Pass, Jefferson
Paddling Since: 1999
Kokatat 100%! I own the meridian and love it! I have been in my drysuit playing in the water every weekend for the last 2 months. Yesterday my buddy and I were doing laps for hours in our packrafts on a class 3 waterfall with snow on the ground!

I would also highly recommend getting a onesie to go underneath. Kokatat sells one called the habanero, I think. I use a smart wool onesie. Either way you will want something that will keep you warm and wick any moisture away from your body.

Invest in your fun! Black Friday is going to be the best/cheapest time to invest!
Old 6 Days Ago   #7

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
IR has essentially caught up with Kokatat in quality. Have had both and they both make great products. I was sold on the devils club from IR by the protection to the gaskets and zippers. Every time I hang up my Kokatat drytop I have to tuck the gaskets in to keep them out of the sun. Not a big deal, but details are the difference when overall the products are equal in quality.
D. Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #8

Salida, Colorado
Yeah, but IR is all pretty much rear entry, I had one of those back in the day, OMG what a pain to put on and take off compared to the front entry ones, nothing beats Kokatat's 2 piece waist zip for ease of entry and exit. For them to be equal in quality, one would think they'd be closer to equal in price. We had a gal with a 5 year old IR suit on this year's grand, the suit, not the gaskets failed at a seam when she was trying to don it. Never seen that happen, 24 inch long opening. Said she had only worn it once, and granted it was an older one, but wow.
Old 6 Days Ago   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Kokatat is basically the industry standard and really stand behind their stuff.
"Lifetime warranty" isn't quite the same anymore...but it's still great stuff.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #10

Salida, Colorado
Kokatat warranty:

All Kokatat products are fully guaranteed to the original owner against defects in materials and workmanship for the reasonable life of the item. Products found to be defective will be repaired or replaced at Kokatat’s option. Repairs due to normal wear and tear, accident, abuse, etc., will be made for a reasonable charge. Latex gaskets are not covered by the Kokatat warranty. There is a 2 year limited warranty on all Hydrus 2.5 suits. Kokatat specifically disavows any other representative warranty or liability relative to the condition or use of the product.

The IR warranty
We stand behind our products 100%. We can't promise your kayaking gear will last forever, but we can promise to take care of any defects in material, workmanship, or design for the life of the garment for the original owner

Both seem pretty reasonable given that folks likely try and have a suit they trashed covered under warranty. Things wear out, especially in a river environment.. I remember I had a favorite pair of ski bibs from Marmot, I wore the heck out of them, sent them back in as the fabric was failing in numerous places, they said they hadn't made them in 5 years, but did knock $250.00 off a pair of their new design for me, I thought that pretty magnanimous of them.