Which one? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-05-2019   #21

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I switched to IR about 5 years ago, when they started to sponsor Riley. The suits have preformed as well if not better than Kokatat's and as others have said, the Devil's Club I have now seems really bomber.

I have an XL old Gmer that got gaskets and all the little leak bandaids that I've not worn once since switching to IR five years ago. $350. its yellow. gaskets and leak proofing were $250.

I have a gray XL IR that was new in '15, but has been stored (lost) since '16. Just found it. Also $350

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2019   #22

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
[QUOTE=

I have a gray XL IR that was new in '15, but has been stored (lost) since '16. Just found it. Also $350[/QUOTE]

I'll take it, I pm'd you
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019   #23

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
KOKATAT!

No question.
kellycorbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2019   #24

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellycorbin View Post
KOKATAT!

No question.
Agreed, but I want an Emergency spare, for me or a passenger on grand canyon. Cheap insurance when you think about it....
Old 12-05-2019   #25

Several seasons ago I sent my Kokotat drytop in for the $20 water test. Got a message that they'd noticed a bit of delamination and were sending a new one.
treewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019   #26

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Sweet?

Same great experience with Kokatat. I had my last one for at least 15 years and sent it in twice for the air test and repair. The zipper finally died and it was too costly to repair.

I was going to buy another one but then found an amazing deal on a Sweet drysuit. I have had it for a couple years now and it is great. The T-Zip is much nicer to use and I think it will last as long. Also, the Sweet is much better designed for kayaking. The zipper is better placed, the spray skirt tunnel is MUCH better, and the cut is generally better. Rugged in all the right spots. The one downside is that it is slightly more clammy than the kokatat material- not bad but noticeable.

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019   #27
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Both are good choices so there's not a wrong answer. I had bad luck early on with IR, but because I've heard they've gotten better and the price difference was substantial, I bought an IR drytop (not suit) when I needed to replace my drytop.

My complaint with the IR I'd bought in the past was that it felt great at first, but within a year was leaking a lot. This one seems to be holding up better, but not as good as Kokatat.

I'm going to need a new drysuit in the next year or so and plan on going Kokatat again for that. They seem to have better longevity and what's key to me is you can send it and get it pressure tested and patched. I'm not quite sure how that works with IR, but I'd find out the answer before you invest in a drysuit.

I put a quite bit of use on my drysuit in a season and currently have 7 seasons on it. I've sent it back a few times for patching. I sent it in last summer and it's still quite dry, although there's a bend in the zipper that I'm worried might fail at some point.

Now that said, the pricing doesn't make the choice as obvious to me as it used to be. If you send in your suit to Kokatat, you can end up spending upwards of $200. If you can get a sale on a Stohlquist or IR and purchase it for $600, then you're looking at spending 1/3 of the cost just for a maintenance repair. But if you're looking at $1200 Kokatat vs. $1000, then it seems like you're still better off w/ Kokatat.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019   #28

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
At $100, I'd definitely get mine done locally. Do they do the Kokatat hot glue system, or Aquaseal?

Kayak Academy in Seattle uses Kokatat's proprietary system, but is the same price. Shipping also adds up...and if I'm hammering a gasket in 3 years, I may as well replace myself!
I've had my gaskets replaced by Kokatat and by the shop in Salida. I can't personally tell any difference between Kotatat's "proprietary system" and Aquaseal.... and I go through a set every other year.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019   #29

Salida, Colorado
Frasier at Colorado Sports Recycler in Salida just did a set on my old drysuit for me last week, I compared the job he did to the brand spanking new set on my Kokatat and I can't tell the difference.