Which one? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 6 Days Ago   #11

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
IR had a bad reputation in the past, but general consensus from what I have heard is they have caught up. I can only speak for my experience but I have had my devils club for five years and have yet to even need to send it in. Replaced the gaskets a few times but no less than on my Kokatat drytop.

I'm also a big fan of the rear entry. Was skeptical at first, but the constant water down the tunnel of the front zip was frustrating. I don't have any trouble zipping it up by myself. Could see issues if you had some shoulder problems. I am wary of the two piece waste zip, although I do see the appeal. Don't really have a specific reason against it other than I'm happy with the rear entry.

I do remember liking the original Kokatat gaskets.

Bottom line, you can't really go wrong with either.

D. Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago   #12

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
NRS has Dry suits on sale now!
Old 5 Days Ago   #13

Longmont, Colorado
I've had an IR for 7-8 years and been very happy with it.
crackeryaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Days Ago   #14

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
"Lifetime warranty" isn't quite the same anymore...but it's still great stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Kokatat warranty:

All Kokatat products are fully guaranteed to the original owner against defects in materials and workmanship for the reasonable life of the item. Products found to be defective will be repaired or replaced at Kokatatís option. Repairs due to normal wear and tear, accident, abuse, etc., will be made for a reasonable charge. Latex gaskets are not covered by the Kokatat warranty. There is a 2 year limited warranty on all Hydrus 2.5 suits. Kokatat specifically disavows any other representative warranty or liability relative to the condition or use of the product.

Both seem pretty reasonable given that folks likely try and have a suit they trashed covered under warranty. Things wear out, especially in a river environment.. I remember I had a favorite pair of ski bibs from Marmot, I wore the heck out of them, sent them back in as the fabric was failing in numerous places, they said they hadn't made them in 5 years, but did knock $250.00 off a pair of their new design for me, I thought that pretty magnanimous of them.
I'm not complaining--just being real about Kokatat.

I bought my first suit in 2003 or so and put 9 years on it when it delaminated. Kokatat said they didn't like the delam and worked with Gore to get me a new suit. That suit is now 6 or 7 years old. I didn't trash the first one, but they made a lifetime customer of me.

Maintenance/inspection used to be free. It's now a fee:
https://kokatat.com/shop/mens/repairs-maintenance

for those rates, I'll replace my own gaskets...and I've now gone through 3 sets of gaskets in the 2nd suit. Thinking I'll use NRS gaskets this round. I have an NRS drytop that is 14+ years old and still on its original gaskets.

Do I still hands-down recommend Kokatat? Heck yeah!

The Kokatat GTX suits I bought for my ladies were new/used on eBay and $200/ea. I won't expect a bit of warranty on them as I'm not the original purchaser, but I'm glad to buy their product for my loved ones.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #15

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Nice story of outstanding customer service. Every time I've interacted with them the results have been positive, but it's never been on a warranty issue as I've never had an issue with their gear, we have a local shop that replaces hand and neck gaskets for 100$, for that amount I'm glad to pay them for the hassle.

Glad to know they treat customers like this, another vote for Kokatat from me
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #16

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
At $100, I'd definitely get mine done locally. Do they do the Kokatat hot glue system, or Aquaseal?

Kayak Academy in Seattle uses Kokatat's proprietary system, but is the same price. Shipping also adds up...and if I'm hammering a gasket in 3 years, I may as well replace myself!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #17

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
At $100, I'd definitely get mine done locally. Do they do the Kokatat hot glue system, or Aquaseal?

Kayak Academy in Seattle uses Kokatat's proprietary system, but is the same price. Shipping also adds up...and if I'm hammering a gasket in 3 years, I may as well replace myself!
Aquaseal...
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #18

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
I'm not complaining--just being real about Kokatat.

I bought my first suit in 2003 or so and put 9 years on it when it delaminated. Kokatat said they didn't like the delam and worked with Gore to get me a new suit. That suit is now 6 or 7 years old. I didn't trash the first one, but they made a lifetime customer of me.

Maintenance/inspection used to be free. It's now a fee:
https://kokatat.com/shop/mens/repairs-maintenance

for those rates, I'll replace my own gaskets...and I've now gone through 3 sets of gaskets in the 2nd suit. Thinking I'll use NRS gaskets this round. I have an NRS drytop that is 14+ years old and still on its original gaskets.

Do I still hands-down recommend Kokatat? Heck yeah!

The Kokatat GTX suits I bought for my ladies were new/used on eBay and $200/ea. I won't expect a bit of warranty on them as I'm not the original purchaser, but I'm glad to buy their product for my loved ones.
I second this story, they did the same thing for me with an old dry suit i bought at an auction. GorTex delimited and they made me a new one with custom pockets like the other one I had. Also a customer for life, I send it back to them yearly to get pressure tested and patched and they do a great job. I had them replace the gaskets on the new one as well and they did a great job, looked like new not a replacement. They did much better than I can do!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 5 Days Ago   #19

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
kokatat>IR

Mostly the same experience as everyone else has mentioned so far. If you're taller, the kokatat ones tend to have a bit better inseam to height ratio. Also, for me, the gore-tex fabric has proven to be just slightly more prone to pinholes, but far more breathable than when I tried my friends devil's club suit. They are both worthy, and $42 for a yearly pressure test and patch from kokatat is worth every penny. Good luck with your purchase!
LLubchenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #20

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Another kokatat vote, will be replacing mine after a decade this year. The repair prices have gone up significantly and sometimes the wait can be a bit are only gripes, but prices on everything everywhere have gone up significantly.

Look at kayak academy repairs, they are authorized, quick, and have been super happy with them when I needed a quick fix.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote