Wallowa/Grande Ronde Rafting/Floating Information - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-29-2015   #1
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Wallowa/Grande Ronde Rafting/Floating Information

I have noticed over the last several years an increase in fire pits and fire scars on the Wallowa/Grande Ronde. A lot of these are built by d-bag steelhead fisherman hiking the railroad tracks in the winter and spring on the Wallowa section. However, there are also a lot of issues further down. It is apparent from the videos listed below (of what not to do) that boaters themselves are also exhibiting ignorant and lazy d-bag behavior. This river is well "loved?" and sees intense seasonal use. A lot of tent spots are no longer suitable due to fire damage. In march this year, in a favorite campsite, we found more than 5 distinct fire pits within a 50 foot diameter, all on the vegetated flats that do not get flooded right in good flat tent spots. We also found a dirty diaper in the middle of camp. Know and follow the fire rules below, as well as pack out every thing you bring in (poop and trash as well), which are also the rules. Hopefully someone will find this on a google search while looking for float information and become educated on the subject.

The rules regarding fires when floating the wild and scenic section of the Wallowa/Grande Ronde Rivers:

From the BLM website:
When not prohibited, fire shall be contained in a fireproof container with sides of a height sufficient to contain all ash and debris, and all ash and unburned debris removed from the river corridor. Avoid building rock fire rings. Fireworks are prohibited year-round.

From the USFS website:
Firepans: Check first to see if campfires are allowed! Open fires built or maintained on any BLM, State or Federal lands within the river corridor must be contained in a fire pan or fire blanket and all ash and debris must be removed from the river corridor and disposed of in a refuse container. Traditional rock-ring fire pits cause heavy impacts to a campsite by attracting and concentrating visitor traffic, compacting and sterilizing soils, and accumulating unburnable debris. Do not construct rock fire rings, and if you would like to help further, dismantle those rock rings that you find. Seasonal fire restrictions may also be in effect. It is common in mid to late summer for campfires to be prohibited due to wildfire danger. Please check regulations before you head out.

Some guidance on what to do:
http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recr...s/firepans.pdf

another good cheap alternative are 2 metal oil pans, put one pan upside down and the other righted up on top of it to elevate. A couple doubled up turkey roasting foil pans work for kayakers, elevate on some rocks on the cobble/gravel bar.

Some examples of what not to do:

This guys is also apparently a river guide?:

For further information on all the rules see:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/umatil...fsbdev3_062366
http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recr...php?siteid=331

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015   #2

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Lol what's next, going on petas website and tell them meat is murder. We all know the rules here. Try going to Pendleton and tell those hicks how to camp if you want to make a difference. Good luck with that.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015   #3

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
One last comment. You should of posted bring a extra trash bag. NE Oregon is a little slice of Alabama. Place is beautiful but locals give zero fucks. Signed- born and raised Oregonian.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015   #4

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Come on Bucket boater he has a point here - these are newly posted videos of boaters not being respectful to the river corridor so although posting here may be preaching to the choir perhaps there is more we can do to spread the word through the community. I did note that on one video someone had commented about no firepan, perhaps it was our poster.

I suspect the Grand Ronde gets more than its share of multi-day first timers and with being self issue permits etc there is no checking of gear or ranger talk to ensure that everyone knows how to behave. Maybe I'm just trying to be charitable, perhaps they really are being d bags.

I love the GR but haven't floated for a few years; I don't like to hear that it is getting messy.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015   #5

cedar city, Utah
Luckily the 2 camps we used were in pristine shape over Memorial Day weekend but we took smaller, lesser used ones from what I could tell.

Biggest problem we noticed was unleashed dogs whose owners didn't pick up their crap. I know that has led to prohibition of dogs elsewhere so hopefully its not a trend up there.

Most of the folks were good people and the scenery was stunning.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015   #6
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wshutt View Post
I suspect the Grand Ronde gets more than its share of multi-day first timers and with being self issue permits etc there is no checking of gear or ranger talk to ensure that everyone knows how to behave.
I think this could be a significant concern. I would wager lots of new or very infrequent users float this section due to the relative low difficulty and long float season. This might be preaching to those who know, new folks googling for info might find this post. There is no checking and very little educational materials or effective signage. I would guess a little in-person education/enforcement at the putin would go a long way.
Old 05-30-2015   #7
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
One last comment. You should of posted bring a extra trash bag. NE Oregon is a little slice of Alabama. Place is beautiful but locals give zero fucks. Signed- born and raised Oregonian.
Having lived in NE Oregon for many years and also in the Seattle area for many years, I can firmly say that you have this backwards. NE Oregon is a relatively clean sanctuary compared to the garbage dump that is puget sound area. Pick any gravel road outside seattle and you will find a garbage dump. Drive up any gravel road outside La Grande, John Day, Baker City and you will not find a pile of washing machines, mattresses and the like. Try the same outside Black Diamond, Granite Falls, Arrlington, what will you find?
Old 05-31-2015   #8

G.Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
That Harry apple palm guy is out of PDX , I talked to him about a bunch of tomcats for sale on craigslist. He was using his Aire outfitter discount to sell boats. Pretty sure he is a member of the whitewater club to the north in Portland. Although the fire seen may have not been actually shot on the G.R

Interesting enough talking to that guy the outfitters actually get better pricing on boats then the dealers? Wtf is with that. I guess I need a 2 boat guide shop.

In fishing season my local river here has fire remains everywhere, and yes a pan is required
RogueRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015   #9

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Why is it as a general rule that fisherman and hunters are the biggest camp pigs around. I mean really, worm containers, salmon egg jars, snelled hook plastic stuff, cans and broken glass in the stupid fire pit, seriously? Its been my experience that fly fisherman are much better than bait dunkers. I would love to see a ranger writing out 500 buck tickets some day as thats the only thing lots of americans give a shit about, their wallets. Hit them there and they just might get the message.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
[QUOTE=shappattack;400360]

This guys is also apparently a river guide?:

[QUOTE]

This dipshit just sent me a PM justifying why he build a fire on the camp bench and that he really has leave no trace ethics. Just forgot his fire pan. Ask any of his guide friends about it.

F-that, put on a heavy coat and suckup your mistake, or build your fire if you must, down on the gravel bar, not on the god damn camp bench.

Don't high light your bull shit on a video for everyone to see, it aint legal and even if you clean up the fire, you just vaporized the phosphorus out of the soil at that spot, which is a big deal in an area with basaltic parent material where phosphorus is a limiting nutrient for veg growth.

Tags
rafting