Trying to get a boat shipped. - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-15-2013   #1

Ft. Smith, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1986
Trying to get a boat shipped.

Just purchased a new boat from a place in Auburn, California. Now I need to have it shipped from there to Ft. Smith, Arkansas. Anyone have any leads on the best/cheapest way to go about this? Any help on the matter would be very much appreciated. Thanks. Dan-o

Dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013   #2

Hi Dan,

I shipped a very heavy 18' Avon from Illinois to Arizona a few years ago. UPS in my area wouldn't touch it because of weight and size.

I contacted a common carrier trucking firm, and they did it at a pretty reasonable cost, although I no longer recall what it was.

One time I had to drive almost 40 miles to a depot to pick up a boat because there was no delivery in my area. So have the seller investigate what companies are in their area that also deliver in yours.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #3

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
It's been a while since I used their services, but you might try Forward Air. They ship from large cities to other large cities. As such, you would probably have to drive to your nearest metro area, but it should be around $100 total. That sounds like a lot of money, but some of the trucking companies actually have the nerve to ask for $300 to ship stuff! Good luck!
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013   #4

Ft. Smith, Arkansas
Looked into them already, and they no longer do it since being bought out by another company. Thanks for the reply Outlaw! Anyone else?
Old 12-15-2013   #5

Ft. Smith, Arkansas
Thank you richp. I'll keep looking.
Old 12-15-2013   #6
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I've had good luck with Old Dominion freight lines. Whoever you use, if it's a truck freight company, find one with a dock near you and do it dock-to-dock. If you want residential delivery it definitely adds to logistical problems for a trucker. UPS freight has a 150lb. maximum, so when we shipped a 14' raft a few years ago we took the thwarts out and shipped those separately and got the raft/roll under the limit. Just rolled it in heavy plastic/visqueen and duct taped the heck out of it and it shipped just fine no damage. When shipping don't get all hinky about details - - tell them weight and dimensions and they'll give you a quote. If you want pampered service it will definitely cost more and lots of freight companies will just turn away. If you're willing to wrap the boat in plastic or canvas and take a chance, it will probably arrive in good shape and the guy giving you the quote won't get all nervous and look for a way out of the deal. Once it's bundled and taged in a warehouse someplace, those guys don't care what's inside, they just pick it up and load and move it out. Good luck,
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #7

bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
I use greyhound and usually less than $100
mtrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #8

Ft. Smith, Arkansas
Thank you for the tips BCJ. Please keep them coming folks!
Old 12-15-2013   #9

Jenks, Oklahoma
Dan-O,

I have used grayhound as well to ship play boats to surrounding states but never as far away as CA. Don't know what current length restrictions are but it is worth a computer check or call. At the time I used them it was by far the cheapest way.

dave
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #10

Ft. Smith, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
Dan-O,

I have used grayhound as well to ship play boats to surrounding states but never as far away as CA. Don't know what current length restrictions are but it is worth a computer check or call. At the time I used them it was by far the cheapest way.

dave
Thanks Dave! Pretty sure GH's size restrictions don't allow for the boat I'm getting shipped, but I'll double check. By the way - this is Danny Smith you're talking to.. I hope you're doing well old friend!