Trip Report - 'Pass the Ketchup' - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1970
River menu

Best and worst meals on a river trip?

I am reminded of a September trip where a full pot of dressing was cooked up for 5 of us. We spent about half of the night slowly feeding it to the fire to get rid of it. I am not sure the disposal method was any better than the actual preparation!

lyhfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
Ha, I feel like the food is the biggest unknown in going on a trip with a new group. Ultimately, as long as I'm on the river, I'll be happy with whatever, but I definitely prefer to eat good food.
That's why there is always a layer of "emergency chili" cans in the bottom of my dry box.

My personal favorite was watching someone pull a ziplock bag full of raw chicken out of their, ahem, cooler. It was a gallon size bag so I figure it was about a half gallon of cooler water and milk that I watched drain out of the bag.

Save your leftovers and bring a can of chili or stew and a couple of packs of oatmeal per day.

Because sometimes milk chicken happens and I wasn't touching a thing that came out of that cooler for the rest of the trip.

Another stand out was an otherwise great guy that brought 4 loaves of bread and four packs of lunch meat for 16 people over a week.
Again, always treat leftovers like gold.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by DidNotWinLottery View Post
And so it goes like this. First day we go to get some snacks out of the food box, and pew! Smells like Penicillin. We find some oranges that were a bit cooked and tossed those in a Paragon Falcon nest or something. Did not want that stinking up all the food.

By the second day the tub is really stinking, and food is absorbing the smell. WTF? Now we start tossing all sorts of things into Paragon Falcon nests!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy_tortillas
Is this just an expression, or did you really throw your food out into the wilderness and leave it there?

Well duh. This is why the Paragon Falcon is now extinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMedic View Post
Again, always treat leftovers like gold.
Ziplocs and a couple of extra ziploc storage containers are super valuable for that reason!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DidNotWinLottery View Post
Thats easy! We got off Desolation last summer with nearly nothing left, what geniuses.........

And so it goes like this. First day we go to get some snacks out of the food box, and pew! Smells like Penicillin. We find some oranges that were a bit cooked and tossed those in a Paragon Falcon nest or something. Did not want that stinking up all the food.

By the second day the tub is really stinking, and food is absorbing the smell. WTF? Now we start tossing all sorts of things into Paragon Falcon nests!

By Dinner Day 3 food is getting slimmer and we decide to unload the tub and wash it out......Then we discover someone tossed a bottle of "organic" bug spray( good luck with that) on the bottom of the food box and it had been being set off, you know every time you hit a wave or something.....

We did not starve, but lunches and snacks got pretty thin...

Seriously, you threw your food in an endangered bird's nest(may have been taken off the endangered list)! Bye the way, it's Peregrin not Paragon and hopefully you never get a permit with this type of behavior-wisen up!
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaLaz View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how to have fewer leftovers at the end of a trip
This is a better problem than the alternative.

On my Grand trip a few years back the trip leader did all the meal planning and prep, which I very much appreciated initially.

But it quickly became apparent that he didn't factor in bigger appatites of active people in a physical environment and I was going to bed hungry most nights.

I did need to lose some weight so I guess it wasn't all bad. Lol.
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. compassionate View Post
Seriously, you threw your food in an endangered bird's nest(may have been taken off the endangered list)! Bye the way, it's Peregrin not Paragon and hopefully you never get a permit with this type of behavior-wisen up!
sarcasm my friend, look it up! But the lack of understanding may certainly explain a lot of the really fucking stupid comments on this forum!