Trip Report as you consider joining/inviting newbies - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-03-2019   #31

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1979
one MF/main trip, after the guy who decided his girlfriend could row the rapids so he could kayak, well she flipped 2-3 times? On the last flip I cautioned the way they intended to right the boat by flipping it towards themselves in shallow water was dangerous, and I advised how to flip it away from you by running the ropes under the boat and back over the bottom, to do it safely. Well needless to say they told me to piss off and sure enough, one guy hurt his ankle and leg pretty badly. The next morning I loaded my gear myself and was pushing off from the beach at about 6am, ran a couple easy ones and had hitch-hiked my shuttle and had my boat and gear derigged and on the trailer by the time they pulled in. Yep she had flipped again because her boyfriend refused to row so he could kayak. Never will I go on a trip with any of those guys again. There was more to it than that of course but that was the really stupid part. I guarantee she wasnt his girlfriend by that take out.

newpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019   #32

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by newpc View Post
one MF/main trip . . . hitch-hiked my shuttle and had my boat and gear derigged and on the trailer by the time they pulled in.
jbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019   #33

Bozeman, Montana
Same here..
walterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019   #34

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
My story is Not as epic, but equally painful.

I was doing day trips on the Carbarton Section of the Payette over a holiday weekend. Good times were being had. On the second night everybody was really hitting the drink hard. I knew that this group was going to have a rough morning. I finally made it to sleep at midnight while they continued to party. I think they were up till 2:30-ish.

The next morning, I discovered that the other rowers in the group were too hung over and didn't want to boat. In fact, I was told that they couldn't row. I was only able to comfortably take four people on my cataraft. I wished everybody a good recovery and went boating, which was the whole damn reason we were there!

After our run, we were greeted by a very angry hung over group that said that we were selfish to leave them and go boating. I really couldn't understand how I was going to fit 10 people on my little cat. Also, I warned the rowers of the group the night before about getting too hammered and not being able to run the next day. Nobody was mad when we left. Perhaps they were still drunk and didn't realize.

After about an hour of very heated and nearly violent arguing, we had to leave our gear with somebody in the group. Unfortunately we did not drive on this trip. We thumbed a ride to Meridian. After a hotel of two days, shopping for clothes at Walmart, and renting a car, we made it back to SLC.

We still remain the blame for not waiting for hung over people to recover. Interestingly, before we left the morning to run the river I announced to all that I was leaving for a run. I took even took a few passengers from the other rowers boat. I did not receive any communication that what I was doing was bad. In fact, I planned on running a second time that day, therefore I could have taken other people that didn't go on the first run.
We didn't leave too early, I think it was around 10:00 am.

Since this trip, we always drive. Also, I only boat with people that can handle their liquor. I don't care if you drink all night, just be sure you can get up and pull on those oars! I've thrown up between rapids, but still got the job done. In fact, if you plan on drinking a lot on an upcoming river trip, may I suggest getting your tolerance up weeks before the trip. Its not that hard and it can be fun.

Tda
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #35

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1970
BOICATR,
The PH did ask me to be the TL and explained that to the group at the meet n greet barbeque. My changing the logistics were done 6 weeks or more in advance with input from the PH and subsequent approval by the Forest Service. Full disclosure all around, but maybe I was given incorrect information.

To answer your questions, the Owl's had Dinner Sunday and Monday.

All river trips are good. Some are just gooder than others!

BTW, I very much enjoyed the trip we did together, and still have visions of you standing your cat up in the gut of Crammer (I believe that was you).
lyhfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #36

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1970
Trip reports

With no success on a Middle Fork permit, I will be looking for trip reports to pass the time.

Maybe starting with tales of digging out the Boundary Creek road?
lyhfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #37

East Wenatchee, Washington
Paddling Since: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyhfamily View Post
With no success on a Middle Fork permit, I will be looking for trip reports to pass the time.

Maybe starting with tales of digging out the Boundary Creek road?
Here's the 2019 report for Boundary in the Access & Safety thread.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/...-97147-10.html