Trip Report as you consider joining/inviting newbies - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-26-2019   #11

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Nice write up! I've only had one trip from hell that I can think of. On like day 4 certain members of the group got in a fist fight/ rock throwing and ultimately people flew out. Coincidentally this was also on the Middle Fork.

I still don't really get why Steve disliked you so much. I thought for sure this story ended with something like... Steve found out you slept with his wife in college and one of those kids in that boat looks a lot like you or something.

Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019   #12

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I enjoyed the story, thank you very much.

I’m reminded that not all people think and act the same way. Some like hardship and trouble, some do not worry either way, and some plan for everything and hope for uneventful.

I was also reminded to let people walk their own path, regardless of how many times they stub their toe. If we spend to much time redirecting other people on the path we share, we may stub our own toe, or develop a hernia.

I remind myself, when doing group trips that it is always a loose plan, I’ll do my best and enjoy my day. I can’t be responsible for others time management or happiness.

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate that.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019   #13

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks for sharing lyhfamily. I enjoyed your story. I think most of us can relate to doing a trip with someone like Steve.
daairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019   #14

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the read
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019   #15

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
BTW lyhfamily, you write well.

Even if you don't have other big misfortunes to talk about, please consider writing more.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019   #16

Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
I enjoyed the story, thank you very much.

Iím reminded that not all people think and act the same way. Some like hardship and trouble, some do not worry either way, and some plan for everything and hope for uneventful.

I was also reminded to let people walk their own path, regardless of how many times they stub their toe. If we spend to much time redirecting other people on the path we share, we may stub our own toe, or develop a hernia.

I remind myself, when doing group trips that it is always a loose plan, Iíll do my best and enjoy my day. I canít be responsible for others time management or happiness.

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate that.
Bob you are so right and your eloquence is to be commended.

Lets Go Boating!
kayakingphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019   #17
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Holy sheep shit. What year was this? I think Steve was definitely well aquatinted with the booger sugar.

the Champ and Steve-o
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019   #18

Thanks for the story lyhfamily. Very well-written and a good reminder to go with the flow.

And thanks for the randomness Shap. Until I watched that I had no idea how much Steve-O looks and sounds like Jerry Lewis now.
HitMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019   #19

Steamboat, Colorado
Great story. Sorry it's also a hellish one. But, I did laugh out loud at the storage of the 3 dutch ovens! May the rest of your days on the river be more peaceful.
sethlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019   #20
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Good times...

I was on a trip once where it was my day in the kitchen and we had a trip member that most people didn't know well. I'm doing my thing and look over to see this guy trying his damnedest to make some sort of a bonfire in 20 mile an hour winds. There is already sparks flying into the trees. Everyone else is sort of hemming and hawing that someone needs to go and talk to him but no one wants to be confrontational.

I said screw it and grabbed a bucket of water and marched over and unceremoniously dosed the pending forest fire. Everyone has a holy poop stain moment until they realize that it wasn't going to cause a group meltdown. The look on the guys face was priceless. Before he has a chance to register what just happened I make a joke about white man fires and federal prisons to cut the tension.

It ended up being one of the funnier moments of the trip but I can easily see how it could have gone far differently and ended up as a "Steve" trip. Guy just wasn't used to being in places where you can easily cause a fire. He was trying to be helpful to the group by getting the fire pan going and assumed because there was no ban in place that anything goes.

Edit to add...I just realized that you said right of the bat that Steve is a doctor. No wonder he didn't react well to not being the smartest guy in the group that everyone automatically deferred to It had to be hard on him.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote