Toughest shuttles, clearance needed? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-08-2013   #1

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Toughest shuttles, clearance needed?

I can't recall which shuttle it was where a friend told me they had to throw in the towel and turn around (cargo van). I think it was Gunnison Gorge.

What kind of clearance would you want to be able to shuttle pretty much everything in CO or neighboring rocky mountain runs? Assuming there's at least a designated 4x4 trail, etc (no rock-crawling!).

Planning the eventual lift/shock upgrades to my new pickup.

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I've driven the Gunny Gorge put in road in a stock 2wd F-150 as well as a '90's Ford van with 2wd on a dry day without difficulty, needs 4x4 when it rains, but still doesn't need a lift kit.
Maybe someone else knows of something burlier, but IMHO that lift is for looks and a way to suck more gas rather than getting more access.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #3
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
What kind of truck did you buy? If it's a half ton Ford, Chevy, Dodge, or Toyota, then you can do a simple level kit. They are typically in the 2 inch range, and will provide space for a 1-2 inch taller tire. You will gain 3 inches or so of extra clearance under the front suspension, usually the lowest point on newer trucks.
If you go any taller, the lift prices go up a lot and you really don't gain much more in clearance. The 4-6 inch lifts drop all components down as much as the lift is advertised, so you only really gain clearance by the size of tire (Under the differential)
You will gain more capability with a smaller lift and going more prepared. You can take a stock truck a lot of places with experience and ingenuity. I've been stuck a few times, but have always made it out. I install lifts as part of my job and I was a recreational four wheeler for a while.
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Cheat canyon, wv shuttle is brutal. Many of Subaru have swiss-cheesed their oil pans on that "road".

We always joked that its a class 4 run with a class 5 take out.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #5
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Going down into the Bruneau canyon can be a bit rough. I got out and walked one time.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #6
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Bruneau Canyon came to mind. We took out there in May one year (Jarbidge trip) and it had been pissing on us for 4 days straight. Even the road on top was bad (out of Bruneau) I've heard some of the Owyhee's roads can get like that too. We came out of Leslie Gulch when I was 13, but it was dry. We only had to worry about overheated vehicles and flat tires.
I took my Legacy on a kayak trip last Sunday and I kept dragging the undercarriage in the gravel on the roads. I think I need to upgrade to a Suburban soon LOL. Those have the favorites of my group of paddlers. The aren't perfect at anything but they do a lot of things. (tow, 4wd, haul people, etc)
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #7

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I got a 2nd Gen 2wd Manual Tacoma.

Yeah, I would probably like to avoid the mud, but I know from experience 2wd isn't necessarily excluded from 4x4 roads.

It already has more clearance than my Corolla did. I think stock clearance is 6". But the stock shocks would probably put the pickup even lower to the ground if I had my friend(s) and boats packed in.

I definitely don't want an over-the top lift for looks. I secretly also want to be able to do oil changes without the need for a jack, so 2-3" might just be enough. Slightly bigger tires may also help or be all I need.

Thanks for the first-hand experience and help.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #8
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learch View Post
Bruneau Canyon came to mind. We took out there in May one year (Jarbidge trip) and it had been pissing on us for 4 days straight. Even the road on top was bad (out of Bruneau) I've heard some of the Owyhee's roads can get like that too. We came out of Leslie Gulch when I was 13, but it was dry. We only had to worry about overheated vehicles and flat tires.
I took my Legacy on a kayak trip last Sunday and I kept dragging the undercarriage in the gravel on the roads. I think I need to upgrade to a Suburban soon LOL. Those have the favorites of my group of paddlers. The aren't perfect at anything but they do a lot of things. (tow, 4wd, haul people, etc)
This is the best Owyhee Rig around (not mine)

Chains are sometimes a lot more important than lift:

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
If you're kayaking then definitely the SF of the Crystal. Access is every bit as bad as the books make it out to be. Shuttle is walkable once you're there, but it takes two hours to travel 5 miles.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #10

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby View Post
If you're kayaking then definitely the SF of the Crystal. Access is every bit as bad as the books make it out to be. Shuttle is walkable once you're there, but it takes two hours to travel 5 miles.
This road was the reason we went the way we did with a shuttle truck.

The road to the crystal kicked the shit out of our astro van, and it was then I vowed to get a better rig.

We bought that truck you saw. and I will never take it to the crystal or to obj.

Our new approach is to take a 4wheeler with us for roads like that.

When we go up to crystal this year, the truck will stay parked at a buddys in marble and we will ride in on utvs and dirtbikes.

1. It is hard to drive 200 road miles and then subject your truck to a rough 4x4 road, if you hook a brake line or bust a drive shaft you will not be going home that night

2. We came to terms with; yes, we want to huck our stuff, but we need to get home, and it was the crystal that put it all in perspective.

3. use truck to get there, then use quad or dirtbike to get back there.

Stoked for you on your new truck!!!! take the scooter and lets go to gore this weekend and break it in, no pun intended!!
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote