The Deliverance Boys - A Verde River Adventure - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-24-2014   #1

peoria, Arizona
The Deliverance Boys - A Verde River Adventure

Just posted Robert Miller's account of "The Deliverance Boy's" under the Verde River trip reports. A lot of us at some point, usually when rigging, have felt compelled to offer advice to a group who obviously were in over their heads. How strongly to offer this advice is a touchy question we occasionally struggle with. Some heed the suggestions or at least listen, others do not.

This trip report is about a group who didn't listen. It is also about some of the first kayak runs on the Verde, including running the upper Verde at ~100K CFS. Good stuff.
The Deliverance Boys - A Verde River Adventure by Robert Miller - Page 01

Until Bob let me post this trip report, I had never even heard of Chuck Carpenter. Even though he was local, I'd never met anyone who mentioned him or had boated/climbed with him. Bob's eulogy of him is well worth a read, both for the early local boating history and for the glimpse into someone so out-of-the-box.
Kayaking - Mr. Quarter-to-Two: Chapter 1

Gene
PaddleOn

deadlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Thanks for the post.....good stuff. We get so caught up in our new-fangled gear that we forget that years ago people floated all these rivers in military surplus rafts with gear that we consider archaic. They all lived to tell the tale, and passed their love of the rivers on to us.

Here's my put-in story. This happened about 16-17 years ago. I had caught the whitewater bug from friends who took me down Alpine Canyon in my little 10 Outcast fishing cataraft. I then started running some day trips with other experienced rafters to learn more. So, myself and two other female friends went over to Flaming Gorge to run section A, Dam to Little Hole. A class II -II+ day run. My one friend had many years of whitewater experience, and had her kayak. I had my mini cat, and the third gal (the newbie) a SOT kayak. We were attired in wet suits, splash gear, helmets, PFDs. We had our safety gear, and were having a safety talk with our newbie before launching. On the put-in ramp with us was a family with a rental bucket boat, Wally World water ski life jackets, t-shirts, bathing suits, and flip flops. The older male ramp rangers completely ignored the family, and focused on us.....three women. "You ladies know how fast and cold that water is?" (Yep, that's why we're in wet suits). "You gals know there's rapids on this river?" (Yep, that's why we have safety equipment). They were very polite, but their concern for us because we were women drove us crazy. Needless to say, we pulled over multiple times to assist the family after they flipped in several of the rapids. When we hit the takeout, we had to tell their panicked pick-up folks that they were ok, and would be along shortly. They had told their friends they'd be at the takeout two hours earlier. I'm sure the family had a good time, and had lots of stories to tell afterwards. I still have to laugh when I remember this story.
Old 01-25-2014   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
I was out checking flows east of Chino Valley back in '75 or '76 when I ran into Miller and Carpenter putting in at outflow from Sullivan Lake for first descent (lake to lake) of the headwaters of the Verde. Knew 'em both from Prescott College days, back when if you passed another vehicle with a kayak on it, both stopped (no matter which direction you were traveling) to exchange info. Kayaks were only made from fiberglass then, and a "splat" would result in several hours of inhaling resin fumes and making patches before getting back on the water... Carpenter traded me my first Hollowtub, in '79 I think - what a difference - and we boated the Salt together back then, when Quartzsite Falls was still mandatory portage (Miller ran it once and nearly died).
The late 70's were great water years in AZ but for sheer volume nothing beats '83, when the bridges over the Salt in Tempe and the Agua Fria in Black Canyon City got wiped out. All new bridges -the 1919 bridge in Tempe held and so did the old bridge in BCC - for at least a year you had to detour off I-17 to get to Flagstaff.
Verde is running less and less these days, unfortunately...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014   #4

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Does anyone know which rapid is referred to as Voodoo in this story? Punk rock is the only one I can think of that resembles this description, although I've never seen the wave form into a "curler." 10k is the highest I've boated the Verde so perhaps it takes those extreme high water events to form. I'd love to know which rapid used to be called Voodoo...
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #5

Flagstaff, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacn View Post
Does anyone know which rapid is referred to as Voodoo in this story? Punk rock is the only one I can think of that resembles this description, although I've never seen the wave form into a "curler." 10k is the highest I've boated the Verde so perhaps it takes those extreme high water events to form. I'd love to know which rapid used to be called Voodoo...
Maybe Palisades at high water?
NorthernAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #6

peoria, Arizona
I had wondered that myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernAZ View Post
Maybe Palisades at high water?
Just sent an email to Bob asking for clarification.
Gene
Old 01-25-2014   #7

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
The way the story reads, Voodoo came shortly after the Falls which is why I'm confused. Palisades makes sense in that regard, but the curling wave is still a mystery...
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #8

peoria, Arizona
Bob only knew it as "Voodoo"

He responded that he had not boated the Verde in a very long time and did not frequent the Internet. Although I've never seen a curler at either Punk or Palisades, also never either at high flows. Just below the falls could describe either one I guess.

Currently in the process of updating my waypoint file from the Bob Williams map to the recent BLM release. Somewhat amazing how names for the rapids have changed over the years.
Old 01-26-2014   #9

peoria, Arizona
Typo.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlizard View Post
Although I've never seen a curler at either Punk or Palisades, also never seen either at high flows.
Jeez. Probably should learn to type someday.
Old 01-27-2014   #10

prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
yep, what everyone now calls Punk, was called Voodoo in the old days. the giant, black rock at the bottom of the rapid was called Punk Rock. that was the one that 'punked you if you didn't stay far enough left.

if you notice just above there on the left at river level, there is a spooky looking rock that is shaped like a skull. i'm told that's kind of how it got it's name.

so it was told to me, many years ago.

i'v seen that curler there at 10,000.

bob
86304 is offline   Reply With Quote