Texas-San Antonio whitewater? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-09-2013   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Texas-San Antonio whitewater?

Just wondering if there is any whitewater recreation around San Antonio TX?

There's a potential job there and am considering pursuing it, although I imagine there is way less whitewater than northern CO which makes me not want to as much.

I found out there is a whitewater park near SA, in between SA and Austin, within an hours drive of each, so I am thinking maybe there is some whitewater around that area? I mean why else would they bother building a park?

Does anyone have any knowledge?

mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013   #2

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I moved from TX ~1yr ago, and Rio Vista in San Marcos is a fun little park, and there's a small but devoted WW community out there. The WW park sees a lot more tubers than kayakers, as the water is always 70 degrees and clean. It's also near Schlitterbahn (old huge waterpark) so there's been some of that ingrained in that community for a while. But, the runs are way more sparse and seasonal then CO. Most of the runs are in the Austin area, I'm not familiar with any in San Antonio. "Texas Whitewater" by Steve Daniels is the WW Bible for TX, and American WW has pretty comprehensive flow coverage.
thebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I remember some guys playboating at the ww park in san marcos at night with a floodlight on the wave. It seemed to be the only time of day when there isnt a million kids swimming, climbing up, and generally having a awesome time on the "chutes".

The park allows drinking so I always had a ton of fun there.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebog View Post
But, the runs are way more sparse and seasonal then CO. Most of the runs are in the Austin area, I'm not familiar with any in San Antonio.
More seasonal than CO? Please explain.
Austin also seems close enough to consider in the area I think?
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #5

More seasonal means most runs get fed from rainfall, so there isn't any snowpack to rely on like here or in N. CA. Also, dam fed rivers are pretty rare. So, seasonal=rainy season only (spring-ish). You will probably spend 75% or more of your time at Rio Vista in San Marcos, because it is one of the few (only?) rivers that runs all year. They have lights on the main wave, so summer nights are primo.

If you want to do much river running, you will probably want to find a crew that will be on call when rainstorms hit the Austin area. I'd consider Austin to be in the area-ish, but I would definitely avoid Austin rush hour.

You may also be able to pull off ocean surfing in the gulf if you can get out there for some storm waves.
Old 10-10-2013   #6

Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
WW in Central TX

I'll echo what others have said. Lacking rain, Rio Vista will be your only option. The park has three waves, one of which is pretty small. If the drought ends, the flow is more enjoyable. Summer weekends bring out the tubers and swimmers and, unless you start very early, make it tough to boat. However, once school starts back up, nearly all the swimmers and tubers are gone and it is more boater friendly. Warm enough to boat year round, making winter the ideal time for Rio Vista.

After good rains, there are a number of fun runs in the area. My favorite is Barton Creek, right in Austin. Hill country has lots of other options, but again, they require rain. Find a group that watches the radar and knows what to hit. If you end up here, grab a copy of Texas Whitewater.
earlyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I swam McKinney Falls in Austin on very wet summer, maybe eight years ago. Tons of fun and very interesting rock in the area.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #8
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
This must be opposite day. Nobody moves from CO to TX. Only the other way around.
Old 10-10-2013   #9

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I lived in SA for a year. Let me answer your question more appropriately: No, there is no actual whitewater kayaking in Texas. It does not compare to Northern Colorado on any terms.

Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post
I lived in SA for a year. Let me answer your question more appropriately: No, there is no actual whitewater kayaking in Texas. It does not compare to Northern Colorado on any terms.

Joe
Yeah. It's definitely not like N CO. It's all about having a crew and the flexibility to drive 4 hours in the middle of the night to get to where the rain is.