Mountain Buzz banner

Taylor River Lotus Down: Are there still logs?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  kreykedj 
#1 ·
Just wondered what’s the log situation on the Taylor River between Lotus Creek and the Slot? There were 3 logs if I remember correctly last year. Have they been removed yet? I’m betting they didn’t flush out this year. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
The logs from last year got removed at the end of the season, but another came down just above the Slot in the middle of June. It'll be there for a bit. Lottis isn't too fun at this level, and really the Taylor as a whole is pretty low. We're still out there running it at least once a week though. Putting in at the Slot or hiking up a couple hundred yards is best.

#4 ·
Hey Outlaw, about the only section going at 230 is the standard upper run from Tod's Slot to SouthBank; although Lottis to Lodgepole goes just fine but really short. I wouldn't even try further past Lodgepole because of the crazy rancher who has the nasty rocky weirs where trespassing is very likely at this level. We just hit it twice while we are there. It's still good fun even at this level. I called Three Rivers Resort and got confirmation that this will be the best we get for rest of July; maybe August too!!!

#5 ·
Lottis to lodgepole is really fun even at this low level but agree it's really short. First run we paddled from Lottis down to Northbank cg, we ran the supposed "trespassing" section through the big fishing ranches, we were butt scooting over all those man made rock fishing weirs, got a few angry looks from some fishing guides but not a one of them said a word to us. After that we rearranged shuttle vehicles and lapped the lottis to lodgepole section about 3 times.

#6 ·
When confronted about "trespassing" on private man-made obstructions ask the landowner to see his streambed alteration permit. Required for any serious modification of the natural streambed. If the river is navigable (there is that undefined term again), a 404 permit from USACE is required. Most of these yahoo's just got a backhoe and started arranging rocks to create what they thought was good fish habitat. No thought to impacts of sediment transport, DO, spawning beds, etc. Many (most?) of these man-made obstructions are illegal and if push comes to shove would have to be removed. Hard to charge someone with trespassing on an illegal impoundment

#7 ·
My friend and I eddied out next to the no trespassing signs and had a long discussion about whether we should paddle that section or not. We came to an agreement that the fishing ranch owns the land, but not the water....the water belongs to me, you, and every other Co resident. We decided to chance it and float it, and we did with no problems.

#8 ·
Thanks for the responses. It would be nice to see their permits altering the stream. I have to wonder if it’s legal to intentionally block access to a water way also. Anyone know if the logs are still present between Lotus Creek and the Slot?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.