Taylor River Lotus Down: Are there still logs? - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-11-2018   #1
 
Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 449
Taylor River Lotus Down: Are there still logs?

Just wondered what’s the log situation on the Taylor River between Lotus Creek and the Slot? There were 3 logs if I remember correctly last year. Have they been removed yet? I’m betting they didn’t flush out this year. Thanks in advance.

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-11-2018   #2
 
GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
Just wondered whatís the log situation on the Taylor River between Lotus Creek and the Slot? There were 3 logs if I remember correctly last year. Have they been removed yet? Iím betting they didnít flush out this year. Thanks in advance.

Not sure on logs, but thought I'd mention that they dropped it to 230cfs a few days ago. Not likely to come back up this season. That basin is so dry.
__________________
www.LaceMine29.com
mikesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018   #3
 
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 23
The logs from last year got removed at the end of the season, but another came down just above the Slot in the middle of June. It'll be there for a bit. Lottis isn't too fun at this level, and really the Taylor as a whole is pretty low. We're still out there running it at least once a week though. Putting in at the Slot or hiking up a couple hundred yards is best.
kreykedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-11-2018   #4
 
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 311
Hey Outlaw, about the only section going at 230 is the standard upper run from Tod's Slot to SouthBank; although Lottis to Lodgepole goes just fine but really short. I wouldn't even try further past Lodgepole because of the crazy rancher who has the nasty rocky weirs where trespassing is very likely at this level. We just hit it twice while we are there. It's still good fun even at this level. I called Three Rivers Resort and got confirmation that this will be the best we get for rest of July; maybe August too!!!
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018   #5
 
Colorado, Colorado
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerman View Post
Hey Outlaw, about the only section going at 230 is the standard upper run from Tod's Slot to SouthBank; although Lottis to Lodgepole goes just fine but really short. I wouldn't even try further past Lodgepole because of the crazy rancher who has the nasty rocky weirs where trespassing is very likely at this level. We just hit it twice while we are there. It's still good fun even at this level. I called Three Rivers Resort and got confirmation that this will be the best we get for rest of July; maybe August too!!!
Lottis to lodgepole is really fun even at this low level but agree it's really short. First run we paddled from Lottis down to Northbank cg, we ran the supposed "trespassing" section through the big fishing ranches, we were butt scooting over all those man made rock fishing weirs, got a few angry looks from some fishing guides but not a one of them said a word to us. After that we rearranged shuttle vehicles and lapped the lottis to lodgepole section about 3 times.
AzPackrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018   #6
 
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 337
When confronted about "trespassing" on private man-made obstructions ask the landowner to see his streambed alteration permit. Required for any serious modification of the natural streambed. If the river is navigable (there is that undefined term again), a 404 permit from USACE is required. Most of these yahoo's just got a backhoe and started arranging rocks to create what they thought was good fish habitat. No thought to impacts of sediment transport, DO, spawning beds, etc. Many (most?) of these man-made obstructions are illegal and if push comes to shove would have to be removed. Hard to charge someone with trespassing on an illegal impoundment
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018   #7
 
Colorado, Colorado
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrebe View Post
When confronted about "trespassing" on private man-made obstructions ask the landowner to see his streambed alteration permit. Required for any serious modification of the natural streambed. If the river is navigable (there is that undefined term again), a 404 permit from USACE is required. Most of these yahoo's just got a backhoe and started arranging rocks to create what they thought was good fish habitat. No thought to impacts of sediment transport, DO, spawning beds, etc. Many (most?) of these man-made obstructions are illegal and if push comes to shove would have to be removed. Hard to charge someone with trespassing on an illegal impoundment
My friend and I eddied out next to the no trespassing signs and had a long discussion about whether we should paddle that section or not. We came to an agreement that the fishing ranch owns the land, but not the water....the water belongs to me, you, and every other Co resident. We decided to chance it and float it, and we did with no problems.
AzPackrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018   #8
 
Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 449
Thanks for the responses. It would be nice to see their permits altering the stream. I have to wonder if it’s legal to intentionally block access to a water way also. Anyone know if the logs are still present between Lotus Creek and the Slot?
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018   #9
 
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 23
Should just be the one about 200 yards above the Slot. Easy to see on the lead-in. Mandatory portage on the left.
kreykedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lotus Throw Rope - Poudre River GreenWater Lost & Found 0 07-01-2011 02:34 PM
royal gorge, taylor canyon, lower taylor - after work kuuskv Kayaking | Trip Planner 3 07-27-2009 03:42 PM
LOST - PFD near Arkansas river Lotus design red with flower dickyp26 Lost & Found 0 05-26-2006 10:43 PM
Lower BLue going down, down DOWN klamb Whitewater Kayaking 2 05-25-2006 03:06 PM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.