Tandem lake kayak in colorado? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-20-2013   #1

Iowa City, Iowa
Paddling Since: 1975
Tandem lake kayak in colorado?

Hello new here..

My wife and I will be visiting Pitkin area beginning of september and we wondered if we should bring our old plastic Loon 160T tandem along. I was in Pitkin solo last year riding dirt bikes, but limped away after only 4 days because I couldnt ride slow. I never looked for that quiet lake to paddle around in and regretting that now.

My idea this year was to spend two days in pitkin, then before I'm incapacitated, travel to Buena Vista and camp at clear creek res by the creek hopefully. Or visa versa.. Maybe paddle Clear creek res and cottonwood lake. But I keep dreaming about a few small white caps rolling over the coaming on a class II river though to liven things up. Wife wont be along for that float after my friend and his wife got stuck under a boulder in the Arkansas years ago. RIP Bernie and Jenn.. But I'm game, and have WW experience. Maybe rent a better suited kayak.

Can anyone recommend class I's and II's in colorado which are flowing please? Or should we stick to the reservoirs? Thanks!

Pitkin CG

rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013   #2

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Town of Pitkin, or Pitkin county. If the former, try Taylor reservoir. If you are in Pitkin county (Aspen), try Reudi reservoir or Twin lakes.

If you need to ride slower, try the Fossil ridge trail or the Tiimberline trail. Super rocky
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #3
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
GunnisonRiver below Almont, takeout in the town of Gunnison. Just down the road from Pitkin.

Taylor Park Res for a lake, also close

Blue Mesa Rez, largest body of water in CO

Taylor Riv, starting a few miles above Almont

Brown's Canyon on the Ark. At low flows, it might get down to Cl II+. Any Buzzards want to weigh in on this?

Roaring Fork? Too far away?

Maybe parts of the Lake Fork of the Gunny?

Gunnison below Pleasure Park?

Just curious, you're looking for Cl I and II, then you want rivers that are flowing? Seems to be a contradiction.
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013   #4

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
You ride a yellow bike...so no help from me. But for kindness, there's plenty of searching you could do to find plenty of rivers to roll down.
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #5

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
No to low water Browns in a loon IMO.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #6

Iowa City, Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGjethro View Post
Town of Pitkin, or Pitkin county. If the former, try Taylor reservoir. If you are in Pitkin county (Aspen), try Reudi reservoir or Twin lakes.
If you need to ride slower, try the Fossil ridge trail or the Tiimberline trail. Super rocky
Town of pitkin, but pitkin county is a possibility. Unless winds are calm I prefer the shelter of smaller lakes. Thanks

My age and condition is what limited my riding.. Id prefer beautiful views over technical trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captishmael View Post
Gunnison River below Almont, takeout in the town of Gunnison. Just down the road from Pitkin.

Taylor Park Res for a lake, also close

Blue Mesa Rez, largest body of water in CO

Taylor Riv, starting a few miles above Almont

Brown's Canyon on the Ark. At low flows, it might get down to Cl II+. Any Buzzards want to weigh in on this?

Roaring Fork? Too far away?

Maybe parts of the Lake Fork of the Gunny?

Gunnison below Pleasure Park?

Just curious, you're looking for Cl I and II, then you want rivers that are flowing? Seems to be a contradiction.
Great thanks.. I need to look at taylor and gunnison river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
No to low water Browns in a loon IMO.
Thanks for the heads up..

Are parts of the Arkansas a possibility?
Old 08-21-2013   #7

Staghorn Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Just did Lower Gunny from PP to Orchard with my son who was in a Loon 12ft. Piece of cake but a little thin in spots. Fun float! He had no need for a skirt.
BCxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #8

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Haven't done it, but I hear the Milk Run is fairly flat. One class 2-3 between Fisherman's bridge and Ruby Mtn takeout. Don't know what it would be at current levels. Low flows now. Should be able to scout if you're concerned. Twin Lakes is a cool lake paddle and rents Kayaks if you didn't want to haul yours.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #9

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Sorry. Milk run put in is Johnson Village, at junction of 285 and 24. Online maps for Ark at inaraft.com.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #10

Iowa City, Iowa
Solo

Well.. Looks like I'm going alone again..

Sayonara, see ya, wouldn't wana be ya