Sun rise/set for camps in GC - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-30-2013   #1

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Sun rise/set for camps in GC

Hi friends. Anyone have a reasonably accurate list of sunny camps in Grand Canyon? Im familiar with the shady camps, but I'm looking for the sunniest camps for an upcoming winter trip. I realize that "sunny" isn't always possible this time of year, but wouldn't mind knowing for sure which camps get zero sun. The only list of camps with sunrise/set times I have is very dated and not very accurate. Thanks!

jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
I believe Grand Canyon Private Boaters Assoc GCPBA has this information on their web site some where in their information section.

do a google search to get the web site link
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #3

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Here's a http://www.ceibaadventures.com/pdf/B..._Almanac-3.pdf link to the list I've used. It's dated, but fairly accurate- horizons and the suns path haven't shifted that much...

Some names are different. If you've got specific camps in mind I've been the last three years in winter, so I've got a pretty good idea about sunny camps. There are some sections that are just tough to find sun, but if you plan ahead you should be able to get at least some sun wherever you camp. Have fun!
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013   #4

Bisters, Oregon
Thanks for the link. Sometimes a new thread is more fun than a google search. This is a small trip, so if anyone has any obscure, "I couldn't believe how early/late we had sun!" place to be, I'd be glad to hear about it.
Cheers!
Old 12-02-2013   #5

Hi Jmacn,

Okieboater has you moving in the right direction. It's on the GCPBA listserv, in the Files section.

Go to Yahoo Groups and scroll down to the "Boatman's Almanac pamphlet no pictures" file for that information.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
Secretary, GCPBA
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #6

Flagstaff, Arizona
The whole almanac is here...

at this link on the River Runners for Wilderness Rafting grand Canyin WIKI :

https://rrfw.org/RaftingGrandCanyon/Camp_sun/shade

Have a Great trip! Yours, tom
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #7
DailyBoater

Wheredat, USA
Tom, are you always needing to be The Guy With All The Grand Canyon Information?
johnryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #8

Flagstaff, Arizona
Only from a certain corner...

Hi Johnryan, yours is a curious post, the second i have seen in a week or so. The other very similar comment came from a dedicated GCPBA booster, and i see by your post history you fit that profile. Seems that you are troubled by the messenger without any regard to the message. Just sayin... So I will answer the same way I did last week. As to getting information out to river runners, many folks help get information out to the boating public. We all do what we can, and you are most welcome, if that was a veiled "thank you,"for getting as much information as we can out to river runners with as much factual research and ease of access as possible. All the best, tom
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #9

Bisters, Oregon
Clearly Tom's passion for and knowledge of the Colorado River in Grand Canyon is matched by few, especially here on Mt Buzz. Thanks to all who contribute helpful information to those curious enough to ask. The boatman's almanac linked through Ceiba, GCPBA, and Tom's GC Wiki is the same resource I was hoping to improve upon as I know from experience is useful but not totally accurate. Perhaps a better reference doesn't yet exist.
-Stay Classy Mt Buzz
Old 12-03-2013   #10
DailyBoater

Wheredat, USA
No Tom, not a booster. Just observing and saying.
johnryan is offline   Reply With Quote