Straight vs Bent Shaft Paddle? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I don't have a good reason why, but I greatly prefer a straight shaft. A 197 cm, 15 degree offset Werner Powerhouse seems to be the standard for the majority of whitewater paddlers in Colorado.

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
There wasn't any science behind it, but the guys I talked to thought the small diameter paddles gave them better grip with less fatigue.

Lmyers, I would argue that 30 degree offset is more popular. Backcountry.com doesn't sell a Powerhouse with 15 degree offset, so where would we even go to buy one?
Duckins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Lol... I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm using a 15 degree feather and it seems like the majority of the stock at CKS is the same as mine.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14

been paddling a bent shaft werner for at least 10 yrs and just switched back to a straight shaft and think I prefer the straight shaft now.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15

basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
You seem to me to be an inherently selfish person. Have you ever considered what your partner prefers? Personally I have received generally positive feedback from using a straight shaft, however a well placed and properly applied bend here or there can certainly spice up the relationship.
If your in CO, you're probably not boating much for a while, so we certainly have time before you need to make a decision to sidetrack this thread by picking off the low-hanging fruit with juvenile comments.
T-Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by villagelightsmith View Post
I reckon the natives were paddling canoes and kayaks long before I came on the scene, and I'm not likely to improve a great deal on their recipes.
I love a Greenland-style paddle in a sea kayak.

In whitewater, I like my old AT bent shaft, but I'd agree with the other posters who have said that you get used to what you're using.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17

C B, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Bent or straight!!!???
Are you kidding me, what are you guys going to think about next to get your flat ass off the couch or desk top to go paddle!!
Are you talking about your guide paddle for your half day raft trip down the milk run to call your self a guide?!
just stick to the front range and drive around with your kayak on the roof of your Subaru crosstrek with just removed Cali plates and call your self a local because you bought a Yeti bike from a CO bike shop.
or just dust off the old stuff and go paddle?
its winter maybe? you are probably buying a new set to touring gear to be the ultra light geek that we all want to be
goodnoughc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Lol... I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm using a 15 degree feather and it seems like the majority of the stock at CKS is the same as mine.
Pretty much all shops carry 30 degree as standard. Your local Werner dealer (or us here at 4CRS) can special order any offset and configuration you'd like within a 2-3 week turnaround.

As to bent vs straight, here's my take:

Like most, I started with a straight shaft, then went to bent shaft. After years of paddling a bent shaft and several shoulder dislocations, I went back to a straight shaft and haven't looked back.

IMO, bent shafts do more harm than good. Yes for people with bad wrists or elbows, they can alleviate some pain, but so can a proper grip on a straight shaft. I think that bent shafts encourage over-gripping of the shaft due to the ergonomics of the bend. This can lead to fatigue and injury (like in my case. Had I not been over gripping, I probably wouldn't have had a dislocation).

The bend also limits the location of your hand placement on the shaft and discourage choking up on the shaft, which can help with keeping your shoulders down and tight. Bent shafts also cost more, are generally weaker (thats why they use carbon in the bent shaft now) and are stiffer due to the use of said carbon. I enjoy the linear feel of the straight shaft and feel like I have better blade placement with a straight shaft over a bent.

Not only did I go to a straight shaft, but I opted for the small diameter shaft even though I have big hands. I don't think it makes a lot of difference in terms of grip and hand warmth, but what it does do is flex quite a bit more than a standard diameter, which is easier on my crappy shoulders.

If I had it my way, I would only stock straight shafts, but I'd say we still sell 50/50 bent vs straight.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19

lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnoughc View Post
Bent or straight!!!???
Are you kidding me, what are you guys going to think about next to get your flat ass off the couch or desk top to go paddle!!
Are you talking about your guide paddle for your half day raft trip down the milk run to call your self a guide?!
just stick to the front range and drive around with your kayak on the roof of your Subaru crosstrek with just removed Cali plates and call your self a local because you bought a Yeti bike from a CO bike shop.
or just dust off the old stuff and go paddle?
its winter maybe? you are probably buying a new set to touring gear to be the ultra light geek that we all want to be
Chill the F*** out, just cause you shot an Elk doesn't make you cool.
MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #20

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Thanks all. This brings up 30 vs 45(vs 15).

I can set my sea kayak paddle to increments of 15 degrees. I find myself usually dialing in again and again 15 degrees. I never go to 0 or go to 45. For 45 it is just way too much rolling over the wrist action on every stroke for me (sea kayaking). Zero degrees just feels wrong. I have to under twist my wrist.(Maybe that is just the bent shaft.) Sometimes I dial 30 when going into a strong wind.

Werner suggests 45 for WW and 30 for play. Is 45 only traditional and because of wind considerations??????? I just don't see the advantage of the rolling over of the wrist for a 45 degree offset except for "reduced wind resistance" during advancing the blade on the off-stroke side.

Does anyone have feedback from a slalom or downriver racing kayak perspective?
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote