Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
good ol welcome. . . . .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
If you mask up and sanitize your hands I'd rather stand next to you in line at the grocery store.
I'll take a tourist with a mask over a selfish inconsiderate local.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13

salida, Colorado
a local...well I guess...he's one of those few grumpy ole people that the sign in Howard references. Here is a letter he wrote to our local paper ripping a local business owner for donating a weeks sales to a local non-profit...just a concerned troll?

the paper made a mistake and stated profits instead of sales. As you know nursery is usually seasonal, they could have easily donated a weeks sales from December rather than what they did...donated 10% of a weeks salesin April.

Dear Editor:

I read with interest the piece in Friday’s paper about Derald Brady of Brady’s garden center donating 10 percent of one week’s profits to the Presbyterian Church’s food bank. Ten percent of Brady’s profits for a week amounted to $2,650, according to the article. Employing a little math, one can extrapolate this to $106,000 profit a month, and $1,272,000 profit a year.

From a nursery … trees and plants.

I used to think the usurious prices in Salida were based in the fact that it costs more to do business here. Guess I was wrong.

Hundred thousand bucks a month profit – wow.

Marshall Nichols,

Howard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14

salida, Colorado
here is a local response....

Dear Editor:

I take issue with Marshall Nichols’ letter of April 30.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. Derald Brady of Brady’s West Garden & Floral so generously donated a week of profits to the Presbyterian Church food bank, and Mr. Nichols, instead of thanking Mr. Brady for his generous donation, starts counting Mr. Brady’s money.

Mr. Nichols, there are lots of sayings about counting other people’s money; none of them are flattering. I have no financial interest or relationship with Brady’s West or Mr. Brady, other than being a very satisfied customer for many years.

I do know that Brady’s is one of the finest, most fair businesses in the county. Brady’s is one of those businesses like our local hardware that when you arrive, the owner is there working hard, with a smile on his face, and asks how he can help.

The most important and obvious observation that Mr. Nichols seems to not realize is that the nursery business is extremely seasonal, especially in the Rocky Mountains. Springtime is when everyone starts their summer landscape projects and heads over to Brady’s. Even more so in quarantine times, I would imagine.

So, multiplying one month times 12 to arrive at yearly profits I am sure does not represent anything close to annual profits. So, I for one am glad that Mr. Brady donated from April profits and not January profits.

I personally want to thank Derald Brady and Brady’s West for their generous donation to our county in this time of need and wish Brady’s West all the financial success in the world.

Don Dubin,

Salida

Editor’s note: Brady’s donated 10 percent of a week’s sales to the pantry to provide assistance to the community in a time of heightened need. Incorrect information was given to The Mountain mail.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
Wow, one guy looks like a charitable person..
Another guy looks like a giant douche.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
We all have too much time on our hands. Raise Ed Quillen from the dead, please. Perhaps he could put this all in perspective.

Might not want to head to Silverton and do stupid things in front of the Sheriff. https://the-journal.com/articles/176...recreationists
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkonamojo View Post
We all have too much time on our hands. Raise Ed Quillen from the dead, please. Perhaps he could put this all in perspective.

Might not want to head to Silverton and do stupid things in front of the Sheriff. https://the-journal.com/articles/176...recreationists
When you throw orange cones and road signs in the bushes.........
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18

The arrogance of this guy is astounding!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2milehighspike View Post
The arrogance of this guy is astounding!
TOTAL loss of respect.......
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I was waiting for this. You don't like the message, attack the sender. I've lived here over 2 decades, and pay thru the ass for most things, as the businesses extort money from the shoppers. The Mountain mail, printed profit. They made the fuckup and you're lambasting me for pointing out what I saw to be price gouging. What Mr Dubin pointed out as to being a seasonal business, it's not, they operate year round. Irregardless, I sent a letter to the editor making a retraction:

Noting the retraction printed in today's paper regarding Brady's Garden Center donating 10 percent of a week's sales to the Presbyterian Church's food bank, and NOT ten percent if its profits as was incorrectly reported by the Mountain Mail, I wish to retract my previous letter to the editor and make an apology for relying on "news" that was incorrect while composing that LTE.. Gross sales, and profits are 2 different things, one would have thought the Mountain Mail would have made the correct distinction. My sincere apologies to Mr. Brady.
They have not to date, chosen to print it.
And for what it's worth, I don't hide behind a moniker like some..
Closed Thread

Tags
ark