St, Joe's River / Grand Ronde- intel please - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-26-2019   #1
Scotsman

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1982
St, Joe's River / Grand Ronde- intel please

Who knows anything about running the St. Joe's River in the Idaho Panhandle?
I can see there are several shorter day trips but can't seem to put it all together as a multi-day single trip. Any advice on how to get a 5 - 7 day trip (with layovers) on that river ?

An alternative is the Grand Ronde - anyone have good knowledge of a multi-trip there? We might even do both rivers in one huge round-trip

Thanks,

Scotsman

Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2019   #2

Grand Ronde is great- many, many good camps, tons of wildlife, fishing can be good, easy rapids but enough to keep it interesting. Great scenery, self-issue permit at put-in. Highly recommend, thought tempted to lie for the sake of numbers!
mattviles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Yep, I got some intel, make sure to use a groover and use a fire pan, its the rules on the Wallowa-Grande Ronde (not saying you wouldn't) just a reminder for any newbies that might find this thread while searching for info on the Wallowa-Grande Ronde.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2019   #4

Ellensburg, Washington
Lot of Danger Noodles on the GR, FYI. Minam to Troy through the W&S is a great trip, ice/bathrooms at Troy but be prepared to not need it. Stretch it out down to the newly rebuilt Boggan's Oasis but the camp sites become very scarce and you'll find a lot of private land. Oasis down to the Snake is a great float also.
GOTY2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019   #5

Golden, Colorado
One heads up on the Grande Ronde, campsites are first come, first serve, for better or worse. Those who are fans of crack of noon launches will be “rewarded” with allot of other parties waving at you from the campsite you wanted for the night as you float on by, hoping for something to be open soon.

It’s a beautiful canyon but crowded and competitive for campsites in the prime season. I did it once, ,mid week even, but doubt I’d do it again unless it was some off season, crowd controlling ELF deal or whatnots.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019   #6

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I live somewhat near the St Joe I've only day floated the section through Avery. There is another run further up that is more class three ish. I suppose you could do a multiday on it but I think you would have a very difficult time finding camps the Canyon is narrow with the highway on one side (think lochsa). Below Marble Creek it is still floatable for quite a while but no whitewater.

Grand Rhonde is a much better multiday in my experience if you can launch anytime other than the weekend you will have a much easier time with camps.

Everyone loves the upper roadless section as do I but sometimes I think the lower gets overlooked. There is little timber and more Hells Canyon topography and more road access but I still thoroughly enjoy it.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019   #7

Cd'A, Idaho
Yeah the Joe would be a weird one to try a multi-day since it's right next to the road the whole way and the whitewater sections are all pretty concentrated. Most people just car camp and run the good sections as day trips, but you could definitely link it all together by putting in at Fly Flat to run through Tumbledown and Skookum Canyon and take out just above Avery. You could probably squeeze a couple nights on the river out of that stretch, although as mentioned above, camps might be tough to figure out. There's one part where the river does bow away from the road that has a nice cobble bank. but other than that the banks tend to be narrow and steep.
Look into the NF Clearwater maybe?
Elvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019   #8
Scotsman

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvez View Post
Yeah the Joe would be a weird one to try a multi-day since it's right next to the road the whole way and the whitewater sections are all pretty concentrated. Most people just car camp and run the good sections as day trips, but you could definitely link it all together by putting in at Fly Flat to run through Tumbledown and Skookum Canyon and take out just above Avery. You could probably squeeze a couple nights on the river out of that stretch, although as mentioned above, camps might be tough to figure out. There's one part where the river does bow away from the road that has a nice cobble bank. but other than that the banks tend to be narrow and steep.
Look into the NF Clearwater maybe?
OK thanks much for this advice - looks nice on a map but onto the Grand Ronde
Old 01-27-2019   #9
Scotsman

Jackson, Wyoming
Maps / guides for Grand Ronde

So... can anyone suggest maps / river guides for the Grand Ronde multi-day? Thanks
Old 01-27-2019   #10

Golden, Colorado
This is the one I brought which is mostly for campsite locations as the rapids are easy, read and run stuff.

https://www.troutmap.com/product-pag...nction-to-troy

If going all the way to the snake then there is a second set for that stretch.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote