Smith River Logistics - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-26-2019   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Smith River Logistics

Hoping to pull a Smith river permit this June. We have a decent amount of people putting in so I think our chances are good. Can anyone recommend a shuttle company? Due to various schedules, were hoping to do 3 nights / 4 days. Can anyone recommend any particular campsites ?
any advice or input would be appreciated.

walterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2019   #2

Ellensburg, Washington
Paddling Since: 1982
These folks in White Sulphur Springs are the "go to" for shuttles. Opt for the long-way around, as the short cut road is rough and sometimes impassable.

Charlie's Think Wild Shuttle Service in White Sulphur Springs. Call 406.547.6338

You'll be assigned campsites at check-in by the MT FWP folks, based on your group size and schedule.
GOTY2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019   #3

You are allowed to choose your camps, and there are very few sub-par camps on that river. Have only floated it twice, but can highly recommend Sunset Cliff, Fraunhofer and Rattlesnake. There is a sign-in at the ranger cabin at Camp Baker– you can sign in the day before your launch, and the sign in order determines the order in which groups choose camps. I think the earliest you can sign in is 7 AM, but don't remember for sure. Get there EARLY to sign in if you want the best choice of camps, but as I said, almost all are good. Person who signs in (at least this was true last year) does not have to be permit holder.
mattviles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2019   #4

Ellensburg, Washington
Paddling Since: 1982
Matt is also correct, permit holders are able to select camp sites but expect that some bargaining will take place given your trip schedule and group size. Given this year's snow pack to date, three days in June will have you moving right along to get to each nights camp - 20 +/- miles a day. I did it in May during a good water year, and had a lay over day with four nights total on the water. First camp was Canyon Depth, second Table Rock, and Lower Givens the third. All great camps.

Lower Givens Gulch is the second to last site and a good one if you're needing to push out your last day. Had four days of absolutely beautiful weather for late May, and woke up to 8" of snow the morning of the last day.

I put in for early October this year.
GOTY2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
I have been on the Smith three times.

Used Shuttle Info - Smith River Shuttle | Great Falls, Montana
each time and very pleased with their service.

Their lot and business is a very short walk from the take out. We were surprised to find our trucks washed and looking good for the drive home.

They come by the put in camp site to answer questions and meet drivers the day before groups put in.

They are locals living there for many years and this is their income and based on my history of doing business with them are the way to go.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019   #6

Bozeman, Montana
The snowpack is looking good right now, hopefully it keeps up. Has anyone fished Late June on the Smith? I picked up a cancellation last year in early April, however the river was closed due to ice jams. It's crazy how fast the weather can change.
Old 01-26-2019   #7

Is there enough water in Oct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTY2011 View Post
Matt is also correct, permit holders are able to select camp sites but expect that some bargaining will take place given your trip schedule and group size. Given this year's snow pack to date, three days in June will have you moving right along to get to each nights camp - 20 +/- miles a day. I did it in May during a good water year, and had a lay over day with four nights total on the water. First camp was Canyon Depth, second Table Rock, and Lower Givens the third. All great camps.

Lower Givens Gulch is the second to last site and a good one if you're needing to push out your last day. Had four days of absolutely beautiful weather for late May, and woke up to 8" of snow the morning of the last day.

I put in for early October this year.

Is there enough water in Oct?
JakeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019   #8

Bozeman, Montana
You can float it in Sept or Oct. I believe its floatable because they aren't pulling as much for irrigation purposes.
Old 01-26-2019   #9

Thanks
JakeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019   #10

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1998
Smith River Shuttles is hands down the best service. Like someone said above, they wash and detail your rig, but better yet, they are super friendly and reliable.
StarDog89 is offline   Reply With Quote