Shocking new snowpack study. - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-14-2017   #1
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Shocking new snowpack study.

So I stumbled across a snowpack study this winter, with some shocking results.

Exibit A: During the end of December 16-Jan 2017, I was in the Grand Canyon of the Colorado river, during which time much of the western united states received record quantity's of snow fall, which to some degree continued for a while afterward. Snowfall in some areas ( like fraser colorado) did taper off considerably afterward, but snowpack is still some of the best it has been in years, with some typically dry basins actually running!

Conclusion:
It has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, that sending me down the Grand Canyon every winter actually improves western snowpack! There is also some evidence that an early spring, or late fall trip would help out with snow during some key times of the season. It is also possible that a GCNP alteration of the "one trip per year rule" specifically for shoulder seasons, could be of some help, with critical early and late season moisture.

mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2017   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Best post ever!
tanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Send that to the Secretary of the Interior. That kind of Trump Science could get you a substantial grant and permits to launch every month to continue the study. Particularly if you tie some reference to Trump's leadership acumen into your grant proposal.
twmartin is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2017   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
That would assume the new secretary of the interior thinks increased snow pack is good or even knows that the grand canyon exists.
Fumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #5

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Now that is a very useful alternative fact!
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #6

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumble View Post
That would assume the new secretary of the interior thinks increased snow pack is good or even knows that the grand canyon exists.
He rode a horse to work man. Of course he's the real deal.
BigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #7

cedar city, Utah
I have discovered an inverse correlation during my rigorous scientific studies of permit lotteries. The article has yet to be published but I am confident in stating publicly that the years in which my wife and I do not apply for permits lead to an astronomical increase in successful lottery applications for my group of friends.

It would seem in everyone's best interest to invite the OP on Grand Canyon trips and then invite me to your permit party yet bribe me not to actually apply. The Power Of Science (TM) would prevail and those who do would miraculously win tons of permits on years with heavy snowpack. Between this ingenious marketing scheme and our Obama Microwave series the "Wiretappers" getting so much free press, my wife and I will never have to work again.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #8

Tabernash, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
I have discovered an inverse correlation during my rigorous scientific studies of permit lotteries. The article has yet to be published but I am confident in stating publicly that the years in which my wife and I do not apply for permits lead to an astronomical increase in successful lottery applications for my group of friends.

It would seem in everyone's best interest to invite the OP on Grand Canyon trips and then invite me to your permit party yet bribe me not to actually apply. The Power Of Science (TM) would prevail and those who do would miraculously win tons of permits on years with heavy snowpack. Between this ingenious marketing scheme and our Obama Microwave series the "Wiretappers" getting so much free press, my wife and I will never have to work again.
BRILlIANT!!!
Old 03-14-2017   #9

Tabernash, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by twmartin View Post
Send that to the Secretary of the Interior. That kind of Trump Science could get you a substantial grant and permits to launch every month to continue the study. Particularly if you tie some reference to Trump's leadership acumen into your grant proposal.
Ya know, that's not a bad idea... this research project could use some financing if it is to be successful. Gainful employment really hasn't been treating me all that well after this winters extended GC time off either.
Was thinking about maybe a go sponsor me, or kick start? Water in the west IS about our most valuable resource....
Old 03-15-2017   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
He rode a horse to work man. Of course he's the real deal.
A horse named TONTO (means idiot in spanish) LOL snort!