shipping kayaks crosscountry - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-25-2014   #1

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
shipping kayaks crosscountry

Hey Folks!
My boats are stuck in Kansas, I'm in Seattle. Does anyone know of a cheap way to get them from there to here? Once they're here, I can embark on the challenge of teaching my husband to kayak....

kayakgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Buy new boats is one option.. Or ship them freight... Cost an extra arm to put them on a car anyways. Try old dominion and ship business to business..
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #3

Prattville, Alabama
Paddling Since: 2005
Forward Air

I have used Forward Air several times and was very pleased with service, but not cheap. You say kayaks so I would shrink wrap them on a pallet and send them by a common carrier like OD, Yellow, etc. The rates vary by what you declared the contents as and whether it is new or used. Find a nice clerk and ask them to get you the best price. Most likely my be to declare it as household goods from a move. You can also have it shipped to a Com address or pick it up at there terminal to save money.
BamaRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Sports Express (now Luggage Forward) used to be THE way to ship kayaks cross-country...like $80 from WV to MT!

Bike Shipping Service - Sports Express

You might see if you can fit your playboat in a bicycle box and try shipping it that way.
I used to ship a folding sea kayak in a golf club bag. It doesn't really matter if the inside contents don't match the external appearance of the container...similar weight, similar space, and it's not like you're shipping contraband!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #5

in a van down by the river, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1974
agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRafter View Post
I have used Forward Air several times and was very pleased with service, but not cheap. You say kayaks so I would shrink wrap them on a pallet and send them by a common carrier like OD, Yellow, etc. The rates vary by what you declared the contents as and whether it is new or used. Find a nice clerk and ask them to get you the best price. Most likely my be to declare it as household goods from a move. You can also have it shipped to a Com address or pick it up at there terminal to save money.
Agreed! I used Forward Air and they were great. Great hints too, I did same.
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #6
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I spoke with one of the shuttle services that run roughnecks back and forth to the oil patch. They said that they would drop me and a kayak anywhere along their normal run for $100. Maybe something like that would work for you.
Old 03-25-2014   #7

Eagle,CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Go Greyhound

Have used them a couple of times. Drop off and pick up at Greyhound stations. I think last time I did it the cost was around $65.
Ron Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #8

Prattville, Alabama
Greyhound for playboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Rupert View Post
Have used them a couple of times. Drop off and pick up at Greyhound stations. I think last time I did it the cost was around $65.
I have used them for short boats, but no go for JK Supper Hero. I can't. Remember if they just refused it or price sky rocketed.
Old 03-25-2014   #9

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Call Jon Kahn owner of confluence he is able to create shipments through forward air since they are no longer allowing people without an account to ship boats.
He is able to ship at a great deal and may be able to receive at a deal.
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #10

Prattville, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdvm1 View Post
Call Jon Kahn owner of confluence he is able to create shipments through forward air since they are no longer allowing people without an account to ship boats.
He is able to ship at a great deal and may be able to receive at a deal.
they gave me the run around on the 1800 number last time, but the delivery center at the airport did not give me any problem in person. Though they required a MO or cashiers check. No personal checks, no CC, no cash.