Selway Flows and Info - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-24-2014   #1

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Selway Flows and Info

On a trip launching June 15th on the Selway this year, so very excited and possibly a little scared since they are getting snow now. Got the RiverMaps guide and have been doing the internet thing. Looked here and was surprised to not see a thread specific to flows and a couple other questions I have. Think our group is going to be 5 rafts/5 kayaks and are seasoned with correct expectations. From what I have read and seen from video it looks like 2-4 feet is considered normal and fun, then 5 feet and above is big water. A video of it at between 7-8.5 feet made it look really big and continuous but manageable, however that obviously does not do it justice. Familiar with Idaho weather and variables that can change things pretty quick, this is the last one on the list!

Understanding the gradient and how much water you pick up as you go, I would love to get some opinions on the levels ranging from 3 to big as you have run it. At what point to the rapids below moose creek start blending to one? Personal cut off levels and your reasoning

Any better guide books than the RiverMaps?

Locals with their best guestimates on how the snowpack will look?

Any other Selway specific information is welcome and appreciated. Just watching the snowpack and counting the days.

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I have done it as low as 7K cvs at the bottom. 3.7 on the Paradise gauge and up to 15K at the bottom about 6.5 at Paradise.

Last spring we did it at up to 11K or 4 to 4.5 gauge and that was the most carnage I have seen. There was some carnage on every trip though. Raft and cat carnage. On the high water trip I did the far right line in Ladle and got surfed in a smallish but tenacious hole for about 10 minutes. Pried my way out with a high brace stroke with a 10 foot carlisle. Always interesting. Always incredibly beautiful.

I would do it again ( with the right crew) at up to about 20K. We pulled the plug one year when it was 35K and dropping. I thought it would be down to the right flow and it ended up being 19K when we would have launched and I had an all-star crew but it's hard to see five days out when it is raining hard and no one wanted to run a round boat. The kayakers were pretty pumped but that's the way it goes.

Like the Middle Fork many of the drops wash out or start to at the higher flows, but some do get worse and the recovery zones shrink for sure. Maps are hard to use out there as you are moving quite fast and a good part of the time everything looks completely different.

It's very weird how to gauge flow out there. The lowest trip saw boats getting stuck in Ladle rock dodging and a huge hole river right in Double Drop that you had to run. One of the bigger features at that flow.

Last spring at supposedly not a huge amount more flow it seemed as if all the rocks were covered in Ladle. But I was chasing two upside down boats and missed the eddy so ran Ladle right down the middle without scouting. Part of the problem may have been that I had someone else lead who had just been down two weeks prior, but I have quite a bit more experience. Should have trusted myself more and I think we might have eliminated some of the chaos.

Take your time. Plan an extra day or two and have a ball. One of the very best. Congrats on the permit.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #3

boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
Sounds like you have your base info covered pretty accurate. I think 4.5 to 5.5 is a pretty similar experience and requires the same skill set and caution. Strong class 4 to 4+ skills in a wilderness setting....figure that you will be on your own. Above that level, you should probably not be on it without prior high water experience. And all captains should spend the time to scout the Juice down to at least No Slouch and Miranda Jane if you've not seen it before at those flows. There is an obvious route at each rapid but not necessarily obvious on a read and run.
All that being said, flows are pretty likely to be below 4 to 4.5 by mid June even on a normal or bigger year, unless we have a late melt.

Carvedog, your 15 kcfs run should have equated closer to 5 feet paradise unless all the water was coming from the top.
boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014   #4
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by boicatr View Post
Carvedog, your 15 kcfs run should have equated closer to 5 feet paradise unless all the water was coming from the top.
Ted you are right on the 5 feet to 15kcfs correlation. I was in a kayak and it seemed bigger. Went back and looked at some of the flows. The one trip we came off at about 18K and that was closer to 6.5 if I remember right because Moose was not that substantial compared to what it can be. May 22nd to 26th 2003.

Twas big.
Old 02-24-2014   #5

boizee, Idaho
So...ya gonna shovel out the road over fir creek two days before us again this year? Love ya man.
Old 02-25-2014   #6
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by boicatr View Post
So...ya gonna shovel out the road over fir creek two days before us again this year? Love ya man.
Wellllllll……we have the 16th but not sure I can make it. I wasn't too worried about shoveling until this recent cycle but we are still below 2007 SWE at Banner on the same date and that year I drove in without much work on the 14th. Marsh could still be pretty burly with the logs coming down and tons of natural avalanches in this area lately.

If I can get the surgery I need I will have to do that unfortunately but I won't know for another month so my spring is pretty unsettled right now. Sure was fun seeing you guys on the Selway last spring. Did you guys get some good pics or were you too busy marveling at the shit as it unfolded?
Old 02-25-2014   #7

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
The Selway can spike very fast overnight on you as well. I did a trip a couple years ago. We launched in late May and it was all self support kayakers. I don't remember the Paradise gauge but its was 14,000cfs when we put on (4.5ft?) and the last night it poured all night and in the morning it was running 24,000cfs (8.5ft?). We camped at a pretty big island on river left a couple miles above Wolf Creek. The island wasn't much of a island after all that rain on snow. I moved my tent 3 times as the water kept rising and at 6 am a few of us were so wet in our tents we decided to put on our dry suits. We made coffee and waiting for others we were smart and camped a little higher to wake up. It was good that we were awake so we would keep pulling everyone's gear up on higher ground. The paddle out was a blast and the waves at the bottom of Wolf Creek were huge.

Very interesting evening. We were lucky not to lose a paddle, pfd, skirt, etc.

Don't discount rising water levels while you are on it.
Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #8

boizee, Idaho
And I am going to modify my earlier thoughts on mid June flows for this year. Had a chance to look for some analog years that match current snowpack, and there was plenty of juice left in those years for 5.5 to 6.5 in mid June. My best match years right now are 1999, 1996, and 2008.
Old 02-25-2014   #9

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thanks much Idahoans, appreciate the insight (and banter). Was just starting to dig around to start comparing years boicatr so appreciate your data.

Have been involved in a few interesting rain swollen rivers, luckily not in Idaho, but appreciate that as a concern now more than ever. Keep the Selway stories coming...
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #10

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
I'm sure you have seen this but it's looks pretty sweet for the Clearwater drainage this year. You are super lucky to have a 6/15 permit.

ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/wat...mal_update.pdf
Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote