San Juan River releases from Navajo Dam - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
San Juan River releases from Navajo Dam

Hey guys just an update on releases forecast for this spring. Looks like the Animas is going to be pumping out some pretty good water over the spring, and helping refill most area reservoirs while providing some great boating down on the San Juan.

We're planning to do a short release from Navajo Dam, and it will be timed to coincide with the Animas River peak, which will most likely be end-of-May or early June. The whole release won't be very long, all-in-all about 2-weeks, with 5 days at 5,000 cfs, but if we time it right you could have 10kcfs or greater down near Bluff.

I'll be posting updates at the link below as soon as we have a date set. Call or email me if you have questions.

https://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/crsp/cs/nvd.html.

-Susan

---
Susan Novak Behery, P.E.
Hydraulic Engineer
Reclamation
Western Colorado Area Office
Durango, CO
[email protected]
970-385-6560

sjnovak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Howdy Susan,

Will the Colorado Basin River Forecast Center have sufficient insight of Navajo Dam releases to incorporate release info into San Juan at Bluff forecasts? And how far into the future will there forecast have accurate release details?

I'm very interested in knowing how the process works? Do you send daily notices of dam operations to the CBRFC? Is that process an automated/digital process? Also, again, out of curiosity, how immediate are your decisions. Does someone walk into a office with a Starbucks coffee, looks at a few numbers, and dials a valve one way or another? Is the process controlled by a little dial on a dash board type setting or does someone the size of Hulk turn a wheel 5 feet tall?
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Durango, Colorado
We speak daily with CBRFC. Their forecasts drive our operations model and then our operations drive their forecasts downstream so it is an iterative process. Any releases we have scheduled they will have input into their model and they will show up in the 10 day forecast at Bluff. Since this maintenance release isn’t firmly scheduled yet with dates, it isn’t in their model yet. We have to match the peak on the Animas with timing so we have an idea of when but no firm date. Greg Smith is the CBRFC forecaster for our basin and you can always call and talk to him if you have specific questions. Very nice knowledgable guy.

I run models, get forecasts, and drink mostly 81301 decaf in the spring. The dam tenders down at the dam “turn the cranks”. There are four different outlets so they’re all different. One is kind of like Plinko on the Price is Right, but no wheels. When the City’s power plant is controlling the releases they make changes from their mission control in Farmington.

For minor release changes I just look at downstream conditions and flows and make those decisions daily. For the big releases we have meetings, coordination, and months of planning.

Hope that helps.

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Golden, Colorado
Hummmmm, "Plinko on Price is Right"?? That I had to google and now feel visually enlightened having done so. Does your Plinko have accompanying blinking lights, dings, whistles and bells? That I have to see. Does anyone do tours?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Durango, Colorado
You know I woke up in the middle of the night realizing I meant the Cliffhanger game, not Plinko. It’s been a while since I watched PiR I guess. Ours does not have the little mountain climber guy unfortunately.

We do tours, usually for groups so if it’s just one person we might try to lump them in with the next large group.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Golden, Colorado
Thank you for the clarification. I'd hate to mis-imagine the process, i.e a Plinko vs Cliffhanger gauge. Now I know. However, perhaps you should have a little rafter rowing up the gauge singing "Oh Man River" or some other appropriate song(Row Row Row your boat" perhaps).

BTW, when would the raft drop off the end like the yodeling mtn climber and at what CFS would that happen. By that I mean, does that gauge max out? Does it measure in CFS? But I'm sure you have more important things to do than answer these questions.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Durango, Colorado
That particular outlet will max out at about it 1600 cfs but it will vary depending on pool elevation. It’s not cfs it’s measured by the percent opening on the gate.

They’re good questions, and anyone interested in how or why things are done are always welcome to call us or come into the office.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Golden, Colorado
Thanks Susan for your responses. I'm surprised that no one that is running the San Juan this year has any questions concerning the status of the river on their launch date? If I had a launch date I'd pester you hourly.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your posting updates as you decide them based on inflow and status of the Animas peak. Are you guys that control the valves betting on a peak date yet? How about a release out of McPhee? Go any dirt on that notion at this time?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

Durango, Colorado
No peak guesses beyond last week of May/first week of June. That’s as far as I’m willing to bet. I told people May 28th was a good guess based on history but I’m starting to think that’s probably too early.

McPhee spill is likely but I am not the person to talk to for that- if you want answers I can direct you to my counterpart in Cortez. My guess based on snowpack and filling is that it will mostly occur in early June. But again, I’m not in charge of McPhee.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Thanks for the update Susan. I too am interested in a dam tour (pun intended) especially while she is spilling do I can see the waterslide in action..
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote