San Juan River releases from Navajo Dam - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-28-2019   #11

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
“Spill” is a misnomer, it’s an “operational spill”, meaning controlled outlet works release made after filling, not a true spillway spill.

sjnovak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019   #12

lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Got a trip for the first week of June! Only ran it at 600cfs, what's it like at 10.000? Is the hardest part catching camp eddies?
MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019   #13

Dirty Verde, Arizona
I’m curious also. I’ve ran between 400 and 2,500, but never close to 10K. We’ve got a beginning of June launch, wondering if I need a grappling hook to catch camps.��
hoosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019   #14

utah county, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
landings are a bit harder to make, but not impossible. you have to keep pulling until you hit land and someone jumps off to hold you. have some one competent and ready on the bow line. also camps come up fast. pay attention to where you are or you can easily blow by your intended stop.
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019   #15

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Be sure your spacing is enough for your lead boat to tie off before the next boat comes in. Anticipation an making your move early is key to high h20. You will be at camp early, have fun
wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019   #16

Durango, Colorado
**UPDATE** Everything's pushing back a week or more. Right now the Animas peak is forecast to be in the June 5-10 range, which means the ramp-up for the Navajo release would start around June 1-ish. This could still push back even further depending weather. I can't believe I'm saying this but I wish it would get hot and dry for once.

Our website stays updated with my current ponderings and musings on when I think we'll start the release, or feel free to call me.

https://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/crsp/cs/nvd.html

---
Susan Novak Behery, P.E.
Hydraulic Engineer
Reclamation
Western Colorado Area Office
Durango, CO
[email protected]
970-385-6560
Old 05-21-2019   #17

Durango, Colorado
**UPDATE** Everything's pushing back a week or more. Right now the Animas peak is forecast to be in the June 5-10 range, which means the ramp-up for the Navajo release would start around June 1-ish. This could still push back even further depending weather. I can't believe I'm saying this but I wish it would get hot and dry for once.

Our website stays updated with my current ponderings and musings on when I think we'll start the release, or feel free to call me.

---
Susan Novak Behery, P.E.
Hydraulic Engineer
Reclamation
Durango, CO
[email protected]
970-385-6560
Old 05-25-2019   #18

Eagle Mountian, Utah
Paddling Since: 2007
how long does the increase take to reach bluff? less than a day? I've got a June 4 launch and it's just a one boat trip with my wife and 2 young kids. Looks like we may be in the middle of the ramp up.
Strieby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019   #19

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strieby View Post
how long does the increase take to reach bluff? less than a day? I've got a June 4 launch and it's just a one boat trip with my wife and 2 young kids. Looks like we may be in the middle of the ramp up.
Sorry I didn't see this till now. It takes about 3 days for it to reach Bluff, another day or less to get down to the bottom. So you will have high flows from the Animas, but you may *just* skirt seeing any of the release. The first day we only go up to 2000 cfs (from Navajo) anyways so you'll just be seeing ramp-up.

Check CBRFC's forecast as they (as of the next update) will have our release in their flow forecasts for Bluff. https://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/station/f...plot.cgi?BFFU1
Old 05-29-2019   #20

Durango, Colorado
SCHEDULED-

Ok folks it's scheduled to begin June 3rd. It will take us 5-7 days to get to the peak release of 5,000 cfs, and then we'll hold for 5 days (perhaps 1 or 2 extra days if conditions warrant) and then we'll ramp down over 3 days. The Animas is forecast to be cranking pretty high so we're hoping to get about 10k cfs down there for the ESA requirements. It takes about 2.5-3 days to get to Bluff at the highest flow level.

The schedule is a bit flexible, and will depend on ground conditions, so I'll keep updating our release notices page with information as we move through the release. Sometimes I neglect mountainbuzz when I get really busy so feel free to email or call me or just go to the webpage for more info.

https://www.usbr.gov/uc/wcao/water/r...e/nav_rel.html

---
Susan Novak Behery, P.E.
Hydraulic Engineer
Reclamation
Durango, CO
[email protected]
970-385-6560

For Navajo Reservoir Operations and information, visit