Sad day - Westwater moving to rec.gov - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 20 Hours Ago   #21

naturita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I hope that I am reading this wrong but it looks like westwater camping is now $100.00/night.

Advertisement

Old 20 Hours Ago   #22

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Factor in the time change on Sunday, March 8 (MST to MDT, spring forward 1 hour), except in Fiji and Antarctica

Thank you for calling, sounds like the river manager is aware and willing to try and
improve the system
Old 20 Hours Ago   #23

Pueblo, CO, Colorado
Problems I've had with the RHT system. Commercial groups always taking the same/best camps since they can book more than 60 days out. I looked one time and BR 5 was booked for 2 straight weeks! Also, what about people registering for launches the day before their actual launch date so that they can book sites before others? ( I know with the 1 night limit on WW this won't be an issue, but it sure is a pain in the ass for RHT) This results in campsites booked that aren't even intended to be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
Ok, spoke with the BLM office this morning. There were some hiccups with the system this morning, they think they have them worked out. Had a good conversation with the river manager. He wants to know if anyone has problems trying to use the reservation system on rec.gov so he can get it ironed out.

Info he shared with me:
1 - The permits will be available at 8:00am Mountain time each day for the date 2 calendar (not 60 days) months in the future. They tried to mirror the Ruby setup as close as possible.
2 - You have to pay for your permit at the time of reservation but you can get a full refund minus the $6 reservation fee up to 30 days before your launch date.
3 - You can have 3 permits at a time.
4 - 2 important reasons they moved to rec.gov. The first was that even though we as the public love the personal interaction with the river office it is a huge drain on them and their resources. I get that, but that is sort of the cost of good customer service. Government probably isn't super concerned about customer service as a whole. The second thing was the security in handling credit cards. They didn't have a very good, secure system in place to handle the payments and that was a big issue.
5 - On the positive side for customer service is they recognized that having to call M-F 8:00am - Noon was very difficult for a lot of people and moving to rec.gov will allow people easier access. That is probably a negative for me... I've never not been able to get through on the phone and get a permit at 8am. Now I'll have to join the click battle.

So there you have it... That is the new reality of WW.

DanCan
sauth857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16 Hours Ago   #24

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Campsites

So are we still doing the same method for campsites? When ready to launch the ranger will take your request?
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Hours Ago   #25

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallboy View Post
So are we still doing the same method for campsites? When ready to launch the ranger will take your request?
No. Campsite assignments will be done using a separate mail-in lottery system administered by the US Forest Service according to Section B, sub-paragraph 21B(c)xii of the Mining and Grazing Act of 1934.

But seriously, I sure hope that stays the same.

Wondering if I'll even be getting on Westwater this season. I also wonder if this will affect the caliber of boaters launching - like, will they all be pasty-faced programmer types?

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Hours Ago   #26
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Pasty faced geologist types.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Hours Ago   #27

Defiance, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauth857 View Post
Problems I've had with the RHT system. Commercial groups always taking the same/best camps since they can book more than 60 days out. I looked one time and BR 5 was booked for 2 straight weeks!

Pardon my ignorance, but what outfitter is running overnights daily on RHT? At one time I was intimately familiar with that section, but I find it hard to believe Travis is down there that much. I think AB stopped running that regularly when they sold their WW permits, and the business sold out to an outfitter in Durango a couple years ago.

Is it possible that all of the Bedrock camps are well known and highly sought after causing them to be booked for weeks in a row during peak season?
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Hours Ago   #28

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what outfitter is running overnights daily on RHT? At one time I was intimately familiar with that section, but I find it hard to believe Travis is down there that much. I think AB stopped running that regularly when they sold their WW permits, and the business sold out to an outfitter in Durango a couple years ago.

Is it possible that all of the Bedrock camps are well known and highly sought after causing them to be booked for weeks in a row during peak season?

Holiday river tours for one, they do a lot of 4 day trips, 2 on RHT and 2 on Westwater. Been doing that for as long as I can remember. I've seen western there as well as Canyon Voyages, but not sure if those 2 are doing overnight or not, it's been a while and I can't remember specifics as I don't really pay as much attention to what's coming off RHT as I do to what's putting on at the ramp.
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Hours Ago   #29

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallboy View Post

I don't have that information right this minute, but damn good question. I sent an email to the main person at Moab Field office, she'll get back to me and I'll let ya all know what the deal is.
Unread 31 Minutes Ago   #30

Salida, Colorado
Ok, here's the skinny right from the source about campsite assignation at Westwater.

The campsites in Westwater will still be assigned by the ranger (or volunteer ranger) on a first come/ first served (this means ready to launch, shuttle done, hop in the boats and go) basis at the ramp, just like it always has been.

She also wanted me to relay her thanks for your patience with the new system, apparently they are using a new vendor for this, and there's still some software glitches they are working thru as fast as they can to make it a smoother transition. It may at the end of the day work better than some of the other rec.gov sites, but IMHO this remains to be seen. I personally have never had much other than frustration with rec.gov.

I guess I look at it like this, change is simply change whether or not we like it, we must adapt. Been a lot of change in my 40 years of boating, not a lot of it either good or bad, so I'm taking a wait and see attitude, both as a private boater and volunteer ranger.