Sad day - Westwater moving to rec.gov - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Day Ago   #11

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Got on this morning. I tried to reserve just as an exercise and got a server error. Looks like an 8am "clickfest" every morning 60 days before your desired launch. This should be interesting. Good thing I have fiber optic.

Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Day Ago   #12

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
One thing I can ask the community as a whole, is when you get to the ramp, remember, the Rangers had nothing to do with this, and neither did the Moab BLM, the orders came down from Washington, the Rangers and Management are just following the mandate and trying to make things as easy on everyone as it can be made, while still enforcing the rules.
Keep a pad of paper at the ramp. "I don't like this any more than you do."
Hand it to them and let them write down their feelings, then give them the WA DC BLM address.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #13

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
....then give them the WA DC BLM address.
That may very well be an address in Grand Junction CO since they moved the HQ there.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Day Ago   #14
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Or the rangers could slip, fall and get drunk out back of the trailer and let it be a free for all to rebel against the king!!!
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Hours Ago   #15

Ugh

Rec.gov sucks
Just my feelings
dport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Hours Ago   #16

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Ok, spoke with the BLM office this morning. There were some hiccups with the system this morning, they think they have them worked out. Had a good conversation with the river manager. He wants to know if anyone has problems trying to use the reservation system on rec.gov so he can get it ironed out.

Info he shared with me:
1 - The permits will be available at 8:00am Mountain time each day for the date 2 calendar (not 60 days) months in the future. They tried to mirror the Ruby setup as close as possible.
2 - You have to pay for your permit at the time of reservation but you can get a full refund minus the $6 reservation fee up to 30 days before your launch date.
3 - You can have 3 permits at a time.
4 - 2 important reasons they moved to rec.gov. The first was that even though we as the public love the personal interaction with the river office it is a huge drain on them and their resources. I get that, but that is sort of the cost of good customer service. Government probably isn't super concerned about customer service as a whole. The second thing was the security in handling credit cards. They didn't have a very good, secure system in place to handle the payments and that was a big issue.
5 - On the positive side for customer service is they recognized that having to call M-F 8:00am - Noon was very difficult for a lot of people and moving to rec.gov will allow people easier access. That is probably a negative for me... I've never not been able to get through on the phone and get a permit at 8am. Now I'll have to join the click battle.

So there you have it... That is the new reality of WW.

DanCan
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Hours Ago   #17

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
I did just pull a permit, and it wasn't the worst thing ever, but sure not as nice as talking to a human being!

Have a great season, y'all!
T.O.Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Hours Ago   #18

Salt Lake City, Utah
Thanks for the info. It's also my understanding that you can pay for 1 person initially and add folks later as long as there is quota available, similar to the San Juan system. But I'm not sure on the time frame, as in if that is allowed up to 30 days before etc.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Hours Ago   #19

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
I think you can add them up until you print the permit. At least that is what I have been able to do on SJ's in the past...
only time will tell...
T.O.Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Hours Ago   #20

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Mac View Post
I think you can add them up until you print the permit. At least that is what I have been able to do on SJ's in the past...
only time will tell...
That's what the info page says.

And yes, you can pay for one and add... but the limit is 5 permits or 75 people per day so you run the risk of not having quota available.

DanCan
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote