Ruby Horsethief Fire Suspect - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-03-2015   #1

Blue River, Colorado
Ruby Horsethief Fire Suspect

Grand Junction newspaper has good article here
Breckenridge man accused of igniting fire on Dog Island | GJSentinel.com
Our local paper did not name the suspect, or the company he works for. They advertise quite a bit....
Trip leader may have been Chris Knudsen, also works at Grand Vacations in Breck. Grand Vacations has been an excellent neighbor up here, generously supporting many community causes. $100K in fire fighting costs alone, and this loser probably can't pay. I hope Grand Vacations will step up. Anyone can have a dumb employee, but there were lots of them on this trip. Why didn't anyone stop this guy? Fireworks are never legal there, and there was a total fire ban. Aaargh.

kneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2015   #2

jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
Put Ryan Huff in jail for a year or two.
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015   #3

cedar city, Utah
Cases like this challenge my values and ideas. The classic choice is incarceration and that would definitely be cathartic. That said, it ends up costing us the taxpayers and ultimately doesn't offset the damage down to Ruby Horsethief. More and more I think the agencies should collaborate to have multi-year bans for individuals like this. He showed a flagrant disregard for law and the environment. He damaged a resource that won't heal in our lifetimes and I do not believe he should have the privilege of using it again. Sadly, there is no way to enforce that concept without requiring groups to name everyone on their roster and increase general oversight which is also unappealing. Like I said before, gear confiscation does seem in order.

I hope they require him to pay off the large cost of suppression and rehabilitation from the fire. That to me would be justice. Even if it over decades I think it would be a proper consequence for his actions as well a deterrent for others.

It would be immensely disappointing and a failure of justice if his connection to a company that has been philanthropic to the region affects the legal outcome. Fingers crossed that does not happen.

Such a bummer to see another fire in such a beloved river corridor. We just don't have many cottonwood galleries left in these places and it will decade many decades for them to provide the shade and ecological benefit again.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2015   #4
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
I vote for a Singapore style of punishment: public canings. 15 lashes, to be carried out in full view of the greater public. Public shame, humiliation, and a little bit of pain (but not enough to kill) is way more effective than most punishments the government could dole out.....
Old 10-04-2015   #5

Palisade, Colorado
this is starting to feel like a mob fueled witch hunt. beware.

I too was pissed when I heard about the fire, then I floated it last weekend. Not saying fireworks during a fireban or being from Breck are okay, but...Its not that bad. It aint miles of scorched earth in the canyon, you'll be wondering where the fire was when you float RH next summer. Also, fires happen in nature, but natural causes help us feel better about them.

I'm sure (I hope) the perp feels like a tool. After he changes his name, and we meet him on the river, we'll prob think hes not that bad...
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015   #6
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by peak View Post
Fuck that guy. Let the witch hunt begin. I'll get my pitchfork! Some bro bra Breckenridge POS burns a camp at Ruby and we should be gentle? Fuck Ryan Huff and fuck Breckenridge!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015   #7

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by peak View Post

I too was pissed when I heard about the fire, then I floated it last weekend. Not saying fireworks during a fireban or being from Breck are okay, but...Its not that bad. It aint miles of scorched earth in the canyon, you'll be wondering where the fire was when you float RH next summer. Also, fires happen in nature, but natural causes help us feel better about them.

I'm sure (I hope) the perp feels like a tool. After he changes his name, and we meet him on the river, we'll prob think hes not that bad...
I don't support the witch hunt mentality but I cannot write off his actions as "not that bad". He willingly and knowingly took illegal items into a area with a fire ban and destroyed one of the limited resources there for boaters. On the big scale of the environment does one island on the Colorado River matter? Maybe not. But in the scheme of the region we are already losing cottonwoods because of dams (juvenile recruitment is down with the lack of flooding) and healthy riparian areas are severely limited and damaged through the river system.

It matters ecological and recreationally. His unethical and illegal actions should bear the weight of the actual costs. I believe that should happen in a just way in a court of law that recognizes the footprint he has as well as the statement it makes to other land abusers.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015   #8

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
You guys are ridiculous. Thinking a employer should be responsible for a off the clock employee and 1 to 2 year jail sentence for a little fire. Please, you don't even get one to two days for a dwi and that kills thousands of innocent people each year. The first thing I thought when I saw the pictures and video is no one will notice some burnt underbrush next year. Someone who just recently floated the river posted the same thing. What he did was dumb but turned out not to be a big deal and should be treated as such. The fine and having your picture in the paper is more than enough for me.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015   #9

Breck, Colorado
I was not on this trip, but I can only speculate. Breck Grand Vacations does some good things for the local Community, but that has nothing to do w/ a sanctioned or non-sanctioned "Employee Raft Trip". Their work crew def RAGES, and I have witnessed this firsthand. They had another incident about 10 years ago when one of their Employees were raging on Main St in Breck.....jumped onto the trunk of a car while highly intoxicated.....now a TBI patient.
Breck Grand vacations has ruined the Peak 7 and 8 Base areas, and their Team seems to consist of people who seem to give a shit less about the environment. I am sure that there probably was NOT a speech by the TL at the Put-In re: Fire Dangers. Whoever the TL is....unfortunately, this burden should fall on their shoulders. Yes....blame the person w/ the Fireworks......but, I am pretty sure that others in the group were "in the know" re: the fireworks.
Maybe Grand Vacations will do what is right and repair this area, along w/ a few other areas to make this right?! Okay Millisor Borthers (Owners of Breck Grand Vacations) that are Multi-Millionaires.......I am pretty sure that you guys covered the cost of this trip for YOUR employees.....so STEP UP!
BreckBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
You guys are ridiculous. Thinking a employer should be responsible for a off the clock employee and 1 to 2 year jail sentence for a little fire. Please, you don't even get one to two days for a dwi and that kills thousands of innocent people each year. The first thing I thought when I saw the pictures and video is no one will notice some burnt underbrush next year. Someone who just recently floated the river posted the same thing. What he did was dumb but turned out not to be a big deal and should be treated as such. The fine and having your picture in the paper is more than enough for me.
Have you boated this stretch? Have you seen the slow recovery work in the Mee Canyon area where new cottonwoods have been replanted to attempt to revegetate the last fire? Doubtful. There was actually a work crew camped a short distance down stream from this group that was working to plant more trees.....how disheartening this must be for them. This is probably the most popular overnight in the state of Colorado (competing with the Upper C), and the loss of a large and beautiful cottonwood gallery in a heavily used canyon will be a sorely missed resource. His actions should not be taken lightly, and I do feel punishment should be significant.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote